Turkey Vulture Pictures

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
This morning, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the Turkey Vultures that have been staying in the trees behind my house. I was too late to catch them in the trees, but managed to catch them as they were still close together circling high above. I only wish I could have got my camera sooner, because there were about a hundred of them circling in a tight spiral pattern right above my head. It was a sight to behold.

2pte2ib.jpg

29xewdk.jpg

sc9mqv.jpg

311ou1y.jpg

2egb4g2.jpg

Here are some pictures of a lone Turkey Vulture sunning itself. I happened to catch it just before it took flight.

2njwl8x.jpg

abqpv4.jpg

n884m.jpg

Last edited:
   / Turkey Vulture Pictures #2  
Nice photo's, thanks

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #3  
Last year I got stuck in the mud with my smaller tractor while cutting grass I looked up and three to five of those birds were circling over my head, I thought this was not good.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #4  
What I've always found strange about them is and correct me if I'am wrong. They'll eat all kinds of dead birds/animals/meat etc "EXCEPT" one of there own. Unless in rare cases they are really starveing.

Boone

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #5  
What I've always found strange about them is and correct me if I'am wrong. They'll eat all kinds of dead birds/animals/meat etc "EXCEPT" one of there own. Unless in rare cases they are really starveing.

Boone
I know that you have a considerable amount of them in your area. We went on a Family outing once to Myakka State Park, and they were everywhere.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #6  
Their defense when threated makes skunks look good!

mark

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #7  
They're useful birds, but they ruin a place when the roost. Staunton has had issues about every other year with a big roost forming in trees on someone's lot - and ruining cars, laws, outbuildings, etc. Usually the town calls in the feds who kill a few and hang them in the trees. Seems to bother the others. Fireworks and noisemakers are used too - but dead ones are the best repellent. However, since they are federally protected, only the feds can legally kill them.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #8  
Many of the vultures are migratory, (in the southeast, many are here year round with northerners joining in during the winter). Maybe some of them are thinking of heading north?

You can look up at the ones that are flying and tell the black vultures from the turkey vultures. A black vulture will have a large round whitish area in the mid-wing area. The turkey vulture has all black coloring on the under wings.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #9  
Great pics. :thumbsup: We've had 'em here just a couple of times in the last 10-12 years, that I saw them anyway (where there were a bunch roosting/hanging out). Definitely a surprise when you step outside and see them all.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #10  
Last year I got stuck in the mud with my smaller tractor while cutting grass I looked up and three to five of those birds were circling over my head, I thought this was not good.

:laughing: