another senseless shooting-hits home

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #1  

Dutch445

Elite Member
Tractor
JD X585
wow, can you believe it? another random shooting but this time in my home town! i grew up there, and live an hour away
now, but my sister and mother still live there and they have had a very scary day. The gunman started his own home on fire,
then went into a local small town barber shop (and i mean small town) shot 4 people, 2 died, then drove about a mile
to the next town, and shot and killed 2 more at an auto care place and is at this moment still at large. talk about a reality check.
they did release my nieces from school about 5:3o tonight, but the whole valley area was on lockdown, businesses,
schools, and roads closed.
here are some articles:
Police in Herkimer remain in standoff with man accused of killing 4, injuring 2 - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York
Four dead and two injured in Herkimer and Mohawk shootings : News : CNYcentral.com
Man suspected in fire, 4 shooting deaths in Herkimer County still unaccounted for - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
WIBX 950 AM Radio - News, Talk, and Sports - Utica News

thoughts and prayers for the victims families

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #2  
Yes, its hitting close to home for me too being only about 60 miles away. Glad your family is OK. This just gives the Gov.t more ammunition to take all of our guns away. I get sick reading about these idiots who decide to take lives and my deepest sympathies go out to the families of those whose lives he took. I heard about this earlier today around lunchtime but don't know the specifics other than what I read.

I can understand a gun owner getting upset with the new gun laws that NY just passed. I don't know if that had anything to do with ticking off the gunman. He seemed to be select with his victims.
I'm upset with the new laws too but that's no reason to go shoot anyone. I've had my handgun permit since 1978 and it was a lifetime license with no fees once I obtained it.
I don't own assault weapons but have several guns for hunting. There are four parts to the laws I didn't like.
One is that now I personally have to be re-certified to have a handgun permit every 5 years.
Second is the re-certification now costs me a fee.
Third is that once I get my new certification permit my information becomes public record so criminals or anyone else can find out who does and doesn't own guns.
Fourth is that the issuing authority can deny re-certification for various vague reasons which means the State could take away a gun owners guns in 5 years if they choose to do so which would cost the gun owner a fortune to fight the State in court.
Law enforcement already knows what I have and I don't think there is a need for the general public to know.

The State does have an exemption form to keep your name from being publicly disclosed but you must list a reason and not wanting your information public is not one of the choices. The reason you claim on the exemption form can also be denied by the issuing authority. NY State has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. The State has gone too far enacting these new laws. What they need to do is enforce the existing laws. Criminals aren't going to abide by them and as seen earlier today people with mental problems shouldn't have guns in the first place.

Sorry for the rant but apparently the State only wants criminals and people with mental problems to have guns and not law abiding citizens.

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #3  
thats it, we need to ban shotguns now becuase people get killed by shotguns in actual peoples home towns

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #4  
Maybe they should ban alcohol next. That causes more death than guns.

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #5  
I was born in NY, and had a knife at my throat at the age of five, the man was in his 80's. I pulled him out of a line-up, and they turned loose 3 day's later. For 2 years he sat in front of his shop waving to me with the knife he had held at my throat. He did not take up child molesting as a retirement hobby.

I turned down a job that would have doubled my income, supper at a Schizophrenic half way house. A woman living there had AID's and the house knew it. Her goal in life was to have a baby: she went out and would screw any thing that would lay down.

As long as the gov's of this country turn people like this loos on the general public...the public must be allowed to defend itself.

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #6  
I was born in NY, and had a knife at my throat at the age of five, the man was in his 80's. I pulled him out of a line-up, and they turned loose 3 day's later. For 2 years he sat in front of his shop waving to me with the knife he had held at my throat. He did not take up child molesting as a retirement hobby.

I turned down a job that would have doubled my income, supper at a Schizophrenic half way house. A woman living there had AID's and the house knew it. Her goal in life was to have a baby: she went out and would screw any thing that would lay down.

As long as the gov's of this country turn people like this loos on the general public...the public must be allowed to defend itself.

A very poignant real life example, Stefanie. The gun grabbers, the ACLU and other libs are willing to go to battle for "people like this", who in spite of their danger and drain on society "have their rights", but the Constitutionally guaranteed rights of law abiding gun owners are fair game for the death of a thousand cuts.

/ another senseless shooting-hits home
Cuomo was in town within hours of it starting,
and the stupid irony of a shotgun being used, with the Remington company
just minutes away from where all of this took place,
facing a major battle to stay afloat with all the new
regs and talk of more regs. I do believe they just landed a huge contract though,
but it's all surreal when it's this close to home

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #8  
Im in the long process of getting my LTC here in Mass, I think both sides of this argument need to step back and look at the society we live in today, and in all reality what it will be in 10,15,20 years from now. ( I dont thing it will be a better place ) I for one am all for gun owners to go through a yearly or some annual screening. The sane guy today is also the nut that snaps and lights up a pre school tomorrow. There is simply no foolproof way to predict who is going to go postal, with 100 certainty. A screening will at least help. Im also in favor of restricted capacity clips. My thinking is that a shooter would need to actually aim at a target with more intent than just spraying lead in a general direction. This would almost certainly require a shooter to make eye contact with a target and thus may influence the decision to pull the trigger...maybe. And although ARs will still fall into the hands of the inevitable criminals, the fewer and harder they become to attain, the price to do so will eventually become a barrier to the hood thugs. As our great grand parents and grand parents and parents before us did, We live in a changing world. Things change and although some dont like it...the world is a changing.

/ another senseless shooting-hits home
Tom i'm not so sure about what affect a restricted capacity would have with somebody like this,
this particular guy walked in to the first business and there were a few words exchanged, then he open
fired which must have been almost point blank. so it would seem not only did he look a victim in the eye,
he spoke with him first.... here's a quote from one news site, a survivor relayed this to his sister which then
reported:

"John Seymour, one of the men wounded in the attacks told his sister, Mary Hornett, the barbershop attack came out of nowhere.

"He just said that the guys were in the barbershop and this guy comes in and he says, 'Hi John, do you remember me?' and my brother said, 'Yes, Kurt, how are you?' and then he just started shooting," Hornett said."

/ another senseless shooting-hits home #10  
Tom i'm not so sure about what affect a restricted capacity would have with somebody like this,
this particular guy walked in to the first business and there were a few words exchanged, then he open
fired which must have been almost point blank. so it would seem not only did he look a victim in the eye,
he spoke with him first.... here's a quote from one news site, a survivor relayed this to his sister which then
reported:

"John Seymour, one of the men wounded in the attacks told his sister, Mary Hornett, the barbershop attack came out of nowhere.

"He just said that the guys were in the barbershop and this guy comes in and he says, 'Hi John, do you remember me?' and my brother said, 'Yes, Kurt, how are you?' and then he just started shooting," Hornett said."

Again, There is no one size fits all solution to these people. What Im saying is that in the cases where we see a shooter spray 20-30 + bullets into a crowd with out aiming at anyone in particular...Having it be, in many cases harder or near impossible for a shooter be able to attain larger capacity clips...may be a not such bad idea. The systemic failure of society is only going to get worse as time passes...it always has and always will. If you put aside the far right and far left agenda...Maybe rational people could come to a meaning full and productive solution to curb this problem...but I dont think it will happen.