Yard truck question- Dodge

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #11  
I like it, but I've always liked classic Dodges, including the trucks. What kind of carb does it have.

/ Yard truck question- Dodge
My recollection is that the carb is a 2 barrel Holley of some sort, haven't had the chance to get more detailed than that. Too many projects & other obligations at the moment. :.) I'm going to poke around with the existing carb some, but if it gets complicated, then I will be tempted to just pay $200 for a new carb with the thought that it will be close to 'plug and play.'

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #13  
My recollection is that the carb is a 2 barrel Holley of some sort, haven't had the chance to get more detailed than that. Too many projects & other obligations at the moment. :.) I'm going to poke around with the existing carb some, but if it gets complicated, then I will be tempted to just pay $200 for a new carb with the thought that it will be close to 'plug and play.'

If its the one I'm thinking of, the carb is a 2bbl carter? Those things are really hard to get right once they get some age on them. The rebuilds can be problematic too because the supply of cores isn't much better. I've tried to rebuild several and it seems they're just disposable after so many years.

You might be happier with a Holley 2bbl swap, even if it takes a little linkage work or an adapter to make it work.

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #14  
I've rebuilt several Carter carbs in the past as well as some Holleys. The truth is, there isn't much that can go wrong with them that a rebuild can't fix. The only thing you might need beyond a regular rebuild kit is a float. Early floats were brass, but latter ones were some kind of molded resin, which can absorb gas and sink. The only problem carb from Carter is the Thermoquad. They have a platic body that can crack, but these are a large four barrel usually mounted on perfromance engines. At one time, I could pull a carb, rebuild it, and put it back on in less than two hours. They really are very simple, but people get intimatadeted by the small parts. The rebuild kits usually come with some prettty good instructions.

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #15  
Carter BBD - is that what's on your truck? The name escaped me.

BBD's, like many industrial carbs, can wear the throttle shafts and suck air, causing rough running. If the reman carbs aren't re-bushed, or the quality control isn't tight enough, the new one you get may have the same issues. Just something to check. An easy test is to lightly spray carb cleaner around the gasket surfaces and throttle shaft and listen for changes in idle speed.
Also look for bent linkage or other 'field modifications'. Seems like the old truck carbs always get beat on the most. :)

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #16  
What engine in it. Will a four barrel work with new manifold.:thumbsup: