Yard truck question- Dodge

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #1  

cj7m57

Tractor
Ford 1910 (1983)
Hi--

Am trying to find out a curb weight for a Dodge Power Wagon- probably a '78 W200.

Can't find it online anywhere, and the local Dodge dealer had no clue about "antiques."

Need to trailer it this weekend & don't want to get in trouble if it weighs more than I'm guessing. Any ideas as to where to look?

Thanks!

/ Yard truck question- Dodge
BCP, thanks for the help- that is more than I was guessing. I've done some towing, but only a old Wrangler & an 8N (no loaded tires), both of which weighed about half of what the Dodge weighs. :)

Max trailer weight rating for my tow vehicle (97 Ford F-150 w/4.6L, 3.55, automatic) is 7,000 pounds- if the Dodge is about 4500 plus about 2,000 for the trailer, that is 6,500 trailer weight, plus or minus. Is this getting too close to the maximum for a 100 mile trip on the highway? Or is it safe & just a question of taking it nice & easy?

Hmm, I think I'm going to be smart (for once) and let a flatbed do the work. Too much hassle & too close to the limit for my old F150- best truck I ever had, but she is 16 years old now & getting a bit tired.

Thanks all for the detailed & helpful advice in posts and PM's- what a great community. :thumbsup:

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #5  
I wouldn't worry about being within 500 lbs of maximum, but...

I would worry about trailer tire capacity and condition, bearings, and whether the 7000 lbs tow rating required an equalizing hitch or not.

Bruce

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #6  
Any pics of the new truck? I love the old power wagons, my dad used to have a 79, wish I still had it.

I'll post a few once I get it home- it ain't pretty, but it should be great in the woods. Supposedly the 318 engines run forever & parts are both cheap and easy to find.

/ Yard truck question- Dodge #8  
I've had several 77-79 w200's and I think they were around 4,500-5,000 lbs empty. Great trucks. One of the problem areas is the 4 speed transmission output shaft, which tends to twist or strip out with heavy use, and they're hard to find. The transfer cases were chain driven inside, rather than gear, and they can stretch and get sloppy over time. No part time 4x4/lockouts either unless you add an aftermarket kit.

Dodge always had to be the odd man out with some things LOL.

Front rotors and some steering components were getting scarce a few years ago, but not impossible to find.
Sounds like you've got a fun, hard working truck though.

Last edited:
Sorry haven't posted for a while, life gets in the way. Got the truck home & have started to work on it- things are always in worse shape than they first appear, right? Have put in a few minor things- new fuel pump, filter and lines- but not yet running. Something up with the carb, fuel leaks out around the fuel line fitting, probably an obstruction of some sort. I may just shortcut the process and buy a new carb from Summit racing.

Otherwise it should be a good truck for running up the back hill & so forth- it is more than solid, and more than ugly. Will post pics soon.

A face only a mother could love...

dge.jpg