$400 MILLION in restitution? HOW?

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Today's news had a story about that 25 year old guy who set fire to the submarine USS Miami because he wanted to leave work early. The judge sentenced him to 17 years in prison and ordered him to pay 400 million bucks in restitution. I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when he serves his required 17 years and gets out of prison, how does a 42 year old convicted felon ever begin to earn $400,000,000.00? According to my Social Security statements, after working for 37 years at various jobs, I barely earned a million bucks BEFORE taxes.

It has always baffled me why judges order such huge sums to be paid in restitution by criminals who probably will not be able to repay a dime on the dollar owed, if that much. So why do they even bother to order the restitution?

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #2  
And for smaller crimes, restitution is seldom ordered. :confused:

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #3  
It has always baffled me why judges order such huge sums to be paid in restitution by criminals who probably will not be able to repay a dime on the dollar owed, if that much. So why do they even bother to order the restitution?

And more than likely he won't serve 17 years either!
Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #4  
I got 14.92 for 2 consecutive months(29.84 total) in restitution for the guy who flipped my truck on the highway. He hit me from behind doing over a hundred MPH. My truck rolled 385 feet end over end. I lost the truck, everything in it, and 6 months of work. But I did get my full 29.84.--------9 years later.

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #5  
Now that's an INJUSTICE if there ever was one!

I got 14.92 for 2 consecutive months(29.84 total) in restitution for the guy who flipped my truck on the highway. He hit me from behind doing over a hundred MPH. My truck rolled 385 feet end over end. I lost the truck, everything in it, and 6 months of work. But I did get my full 29.84.--------9 years later.

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #6  
Maybe they are just making sure they are covered if the guy wins the Powerball lottery...and there's always the Publishers clearing house sweepstakes...:D

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #7  
Maybe he could get a low interest government loan for unskilled workers after he serves a few years???:confused2:

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #8  
It's principle. It's just saying that he will be making payments for the rest of his life. It's no different than getting 3 life sentences in a murder trial. How does one have more than one life? It's just saying that the person has no chance at getting out. It fits the crime. Don't read into it.

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #9  
He can start a solar energy company!

mark

/ $400 MILLION in restitution? HOW? #10  

You're very fortunate Ike, that the $29.84 wasn't made payable to your estate. My Aunt and Uncle were killed in a similar accident, and the impaired driver was only doing about 75mph. She got 6 years, but no restitution.