My kid's first trip to the ER

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
My 21 month old son squished his finger in the lid of our coffee table tonight. In the hinge. Popped it like a grape! We took him to the ER and they fixed him up and he'll be fine. I may never recover! This is the first time he's really hurt himself more than a bump or a bruise, and it really upset me. I took a minute to sympathize with all I must have put my parents through, with bone-headed injuries.

I really don't know how parents who lose their kids do it. I hope I never find out.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #2  
The very worst feeling in the world is doing something stupid that hurts one of your own kids. I did it. Dropped a daughter. Hospital and all that. She's fine - a mother of many herself now. I've never recovered.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #3  
A stitch here, a stitch there. Plenty of times when the kids were little. First time is usually traumatic for ya.
I remember when my son was about 10 maybe, he and his cousin were racing to the front door. My son made a last effort mad leap to get there first. Next, he was sitting on the porch hollaring "I bent my arm, I bent my arm". Yep, mid-forearm, both bones.

I really don't know how parents who lose their kids do it. I hope I never find out
Used to ride with the local VFD/EMS. Was in the ER one time when a man's son was brought in. collapsed and died from heat stroke. I'd never heard anybody wail before, and never since. I will never forget hearing that man as long as I live.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #4  
Spent many hours in the ER (Some with my own kids) kids are the toughest to deal with. I have a tender heart when kids are involved. Picked up many kids and seen a few dead, never get over it. One of the things that sticks in my mind is hearing someone say in the ER "My dog never did that before), this after multiple bites to a kid. I have heard that four times over the years. One was attacked as he came through the door. My Nephew was attacked by a dog on a friends front porch. The Nephew had never been there. Over 70 stitches.
My favorite saying is "Anything can happen to anybody at anytime", proved over and over.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER
Here's him and his mom.

2013-03-17 21.57.10.jpg

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #6  
He looks like he's taking it well.

But he's scaring me, sitting on the edge of that counter like that.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #7  
I don't have children myself.
But, I'm absolutely convinced that children need to climb trees.
Jump off of things.
Fall off of things.
And pound their fingers a few times with a hammer.

Most parents may want to bubble wrap their kids, but children really need to just be kids sometime.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #8  
My daughter is stressing over a University project on "Over Protective Parents". Little does she realize how protective we were with her growing up. We were lucky enough to be able to keep my wife home for 11 years so my kids always had mom or dad around, even on school trips. In her teen years, well lets just say, been there, done that and no your not sleeping over at so and so's house. Funny about parents intuition.

/ My kid's first trip to the ER #9  
He looks like he's taking it well.

But he's scaring me, sitting on the edge of that counter like that.

Awwww...he's taking it like a champ (so is Mamma). :thumbsup: