Hardware store nostalgia

/ Hardware store nostalgia #31  
In Staunton VA we have Young Hardware, a local, second generation hardware store. They are near downtown and convenient - with parking near the door. The big box stores are several miles away in a "newer" commercial area. When I need a bolt of a certain hardness, or particular screws or bits or something, I go there. The clerks there - and there are still two or three, take you in hand as you enter and can get you the items you need in seconds. They can also chat with you about what you're doing and make suggestions.

I can go to Young's for 90 percent of the stuff I need and get in and out in minutes - not even counting the longer drive out to Lowes or Walmart. Prices are a tad higher generally, but for most items I buy the convenience more than makes up for that. And you can spend an hour in a big box looking for what you want with clerks who are of little help... Local is the way to go.

I go to the big box stores only when Young's doesn't have what I need.

As a boy I loved going to the hardware store because you could find all sorts of strange fittings, tools, and bits of hardware that you could use in different ways. I still benefit many times when I have a problem on the place because I can remember some strange bit of hardware I saw once that would be perfect for a new problem.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #32  
I will say that Eugene had a little Mom & Pop hardware & tool store called Jerry's. Good brand-name tools, but not much of a store. Anyway, it had a fire and burnt to the ground around 1980 or so.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but rather than vanishing, they managed to buy a bigger lot in a better location about 1/2 mile away and EXPANDED.

They are now a home improvement store that is just as big as Home Depot & Lowes, and have expanded to a grand total of TWO stores. Perhaps they are one of the most successful one-town home improvement stores, and have a very loyal local following.

Perhaps they no longer have the Mom & Pop atmosphere, but there are a few success stories in the hardware businesses.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #33  
I don't know if M&H is still going in Tamaqua, PA or not? They had a True Value franchise if I recall correctly but the store still had that old timey family atmosphere and a good stock of just about everything you might need. The building was old so the floors creaked and had that smell about it. I think the last time I was in an Western Auto store was back in the seventies.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #34  
A push mower with a cast deck and a two stroke motor. Wizard was cast on the deck and I recall the exhaust was like a can with a metal flap. A spring held the flap closed when not running. Still have the socket set a girlfriend in high school got me for a birthday present. Thank you Deb.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #35  
I used to be able to go into the local Western Auto and actually buy parts to fix things. Now days, I'd be hard pressed to even find some of those parts on the internet.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #36  
The best bicycle I ever owned was a Western Flyer, we could only afford one, so I shared it with my brothers; loved that bike.

I can picture a young 3R riding thru Mayberry with his sweetheart on the handlebars lol

You are in SEMO right? Are you south of Cape Girardeau or anywhere near the bootheel? Thats a fascinating area

/ Hardware store nostalgia #37  
Me and a brother pooled our money and bought our first radio at Western Auto. It was AM only, think it cost little over $3. :laughing: That's been a few years ago... During the day, we would listen to WWVA out of Wheeling WV. At night, we could pull in stations like WOWO in Ft Wayne, IN. They had this comedy show on at night, that always played "I got a tiger by the tail".

/ Hardware store nostalgia #38  
How many of us ever bought and built a working crystal radio kit? I know I built one, and was thrilled to death that it actually worked.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #39  
My wife's family is from Jackson, OH. They still have their Western Auto store. My F-I-L still buys quite a bit of stuff there including household appliances and lawn mowers and such. Prices seem to be quite a bit higher, quality on the merchandise seems to be lacking, and customer service isn't there. Seems to be a far cry from the stores that are being described here and what this one probably once was. I've never actually been in the store, just have driven buy it.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #40  
How many of us ever bought and built a working crystal radio kit? I know I built one, and was thrilled to death that it actually worked.

I loved the old crystal radio and built several, including one out of Poplar Mechanics that had a tiny speaker so you didn't have to use earphones. I built one for my grandchildren. They thought it was neat to built, but immediately lost interest. They look on radio itself as a lot different.

The biggest difference is they cannot conceive of listening to radio for actual programs - like TV. They see radio as only for music - and that's second to their MP3 or whatever.