how to get rid of a large tree root ball

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Hurricane Sandy took down a large oak tree in our back garden. Most of the top crown of the tree landed in the road and took down a utility pole. The town cut up that portion of the tree and left me with a pile of rounds that will warm the house for and entire season. What remains is the lower portion of the crown, the trunk (about 20-24 feet long and 3-4 feet diameter at the base) and a root ball that is about 10-12 feet in diameter. Lodged in the root structure are medium to large stones. I started to pick away at the root structure to free the stones but it's slow going. I'm using a 5' steel bar to work out the stones. This requires allot of upper body strength as I'm working the bar for the most from chest level or overhead. The idea being, once the stones are removed I can begin to cut up the root structure with a chains saw. I might be at this a while ...any ideas?

2012-10-30_09.51.41 (1).jpg

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #2  
If your not opposed to getting incredibly filthy, you could use a pressure washer with a red tip or 0 degree to cut thru and then switch to a wider fan to wash the dirt off. It will allow you to use a saw without destroying several chains

Brett

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #3  
I would be tempted to cut it off at the base of the trunk and let the stump flop back into the hole it came from. Put a squirrel feeder on it and call it good. I realize that probably won't pass management oversight. :p

(Safety Note: stumps flop back where they came from very quickly and they can kill anything trapped beneath them.)

If you have to cut it up, pressure wash what you can, then rent a demolition saw with carbide teeth.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball
Thanks ...I've been at it with the garden hose a few times already and got most of the easy stuff off, but I imagine the power washer would be a bit more agressive.

The hole is filling up with all the stones coming off the ball. If I cut it (the ball) off it will be riding proud of the hole...not sure that'll pass muster with herself.

A demolition saw sounds like the bomb though Dave. I'll have to scout out the local rental joints.

It's been a real good workout so far.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #5  
Thanks ...I've been at it with the garden hose a few times already and got most of the easy stuff off, but I imagine the power washer would be a bit more agressive.

The hole is filling up with all the stones coming off the ball. If I cut it (the ball) off it will be riding proud of the hole...not sure that'll pass muster with herself.

A demolition saw sounds like the bomb though Dave. I'll have to scout out the local rental joints.

It's been a real good workout so far.

I think I would look for the chainsaw-type of demo saw with the carbide teeth. They are used by fire depts. and such to cut through wood that isn't clean, has nails, etc. I would still avoid rocks. :) If you describe the task at the rental place, they will probably recommend the best choice. There is also a circular saw type of demo saw with carbide teeth. They are used to cut concrete and stone.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #6  
Well, I would fill the hole thats there, then cut the tree 8' up from the base, then use the tractor FEL on the end of the log like a lever and twist it out.

Once the stump is free from the hole cut the rest of the log off then roll the stump to the side of the road and have a logging truck pick it up (Usually $350 a load) so should be maybe $75 or so to take it away. Or roll it over an embankment and call it a day.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #7  
Get a standard chainsaw, cut the wood into usable pieces until you get to the root ball.Then find a bloke with a TLB nearby and dig a big hole and bury what you dont need.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #8  
Get a polaski and chop as much dirt as you can off of it. Don't worry about getting it 100% clean.
Pile it in the middle of a brush pile and burn it.
Chop more dirt off of it and burn it again.

After the second or third chopping & burning, it will disappear.

polaski1.gif

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball #9  
My vote is for the pressure washer and cutting the roots into burnable pieces for a fire pit. Shame you lost it. Looks like it was a nice tree.

/ how to get rid of a large tree root ball
My vote is for the pressure washer and cutting the roots into burnable pieces for a fire pit. Shame you lost it. Looks like it was a nice tree.

It's been our pride and joy for 27 years .. almost like a death in the family.