Recommended area light

/ Recommended area light #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi TBN. I have these flood lights above my garage, and I want to replace them with an area light, something which will hopefully non-directionally illuminate the parking area in my driveway.

The light is two stories high, and the parking area in front of my garage is about 40'x50'. Any recommendations on lights or light styles? Something like this is what I have in mind, based just on what I've seen elsewhere, but if there is something more appropriate, please feel free to share. Lithonia Security/Area Lighting, 100w - 11L10SRN120R5BA | Security/Area Lighting Fixtures | Outdoor Area Fixtures | SustainableSupply.com

Thanks

/ Recommended area light #2  
This truly is an area light, throwing light all around & under the fixture. If your flood lights are the small round ones, you might want to look at the larger rectangular shaped directional flood lights. They are "aimable" and light a large area, but not right under the fixture. Depends on what you need.

/ Recommended area light #3  
I have been thinking about something similar on my garage. The problem is I have an office above my garage with the lights mounted above the windows. As wyeguy said you might want something that will not illuminate the area behind and under the fixture. I haven't really figured out the right solution for me, but I know that the little round ones are not cutting it. Until I read this I was thinking about the nice, large ones like you posted. I now realize that would have been an even bigger mistake.

/ Recommended area light #4  
Another type of light that you might want to consider is called a wall pack light. These are lights that mount flat up against the building and do a real good job of lighting sidewalks and the area close to the building, sort of like an area light. But they don't throw a lot of light back against the building that is wasted. They are NOT directional adjustable at all, but are nice looking lights that don't require a attachment arm at all.
Another option for the type of light the utility I work for is starting to use are LED lights. More expensive but very low maintenance and don't use near as much energy.
These are some more options for you to consider depending on what you need.

/ Recommended area light
I'll probably wind up with one of the lights like I originally posted and hope it's okay. If not, there's another place where I know I'd like it. Fortunately, this area above my garage is an unfinished room in the house, so if I decide to go a different route, such as using an array of those wallpack lights (thanks wyeguy), it'd be trivial to do so. That'd probably be plan B.

Thanks