Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: Cars are really hard to work on anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    I think the problem is caused more often by the body stylists than by the engineers.

Bruce
    Then they need to have the stylists change a few spark plugs.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

I don't know why I get the wild hairs that I can fix it myself. A few years ago I had a 1995 Ford F150. Bought 8 plugs and raised the hood. After about 30 minutes I closed her up and took it to a mechanic to have the plugs put in.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I still do some stuff myself. Plugs, wires, and brakes to name a few. I figure out how long it's going to take me to do the job verses what the dealer charges. If I figure I can do the job and save myself $150.00 an hour in labor for doing so I'll go ahead and do it myself. It's the only $150.00 an hour job I know how to do.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Loadstar View Post
    -find a vehicle specific forum read and read and read. Make friends get pointers and maybe there are people close that can help with the big projects that you may not have specialty tools for.
    Good one. Also, this will help find things like "To change the water pump on a '02 caravan with a V6, you need to loosen the right engine mount enough to drop the engine 3/4 and you need a ratcheting wrench to tighten the bolts as there isnt enough space to get a ratchet in there".

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Veteran Member

I for one am glad they don't make them like they used too. I still remember Dad tinkering on the car for days before taking a 200 mile trip for a vacation. Nowadays people jump in their drive a 1000 miles and think nothing of it. I've got '91 Ford Explorer with 235K miles that the most major repair was an intake manifold gasket, $300. The only thing we use it for anymore is to get gas for various farm stuff and take pets to the Vet. but she still fires right up.
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

They could make them last and still make them easy to work on. If they wanted to.

Tractor
    Ford 640

Most are not that terrible to work on. You just have to kind of unwrap your mind from the old way. I'm sure OHV was cursed by flathead guys when it popped up. I have issues working in reverse sometimes. Gotta stop and think when going from a 08 to a 58. In front wheel drive unbolting and rotating the motor is kind of normal. Most of this stuff is meant to be done on lifts which can complicate things. I'm not a real small guy 6'4" 275 I can't fit under much so you have to get creative.
    This schematic was one of the best free things I have ever picked up. In a short time I have absorbed a lot of SD info. Now that I'm more familiar with them I am also helping family members with them. That leads to another tip I stick close to vehicles I know so I know more. I would rather be great with a few rather know little about many.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-2154627604-jpg  

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkeyok View Post
    Note to self, observe location of oil filter and spark-plug access before purchasing any new vehicle.
    Some manufacturers "care" a little bit. Some don't.
    After hunting for the oil filter on my S-10 Blazer, I found a remote mounted filter just under the hood. I usually drop a grease rag under it to catch drips, but it is one of the easiest ones to get to.

-blazeroilfilter-jpg

If there is room in your car, you might see if there is a remote filter kit. It might save a lot of headaches.

Spark plugs are often a pain, but at least they don't need changed too frequently.

Some of the Chevy pickups have starter motors held on by two screws on the BOTTOM (plus one on the back). Much easier to get to than trying to reach around to the ears, often on the inaccessible top side of the starters.

I have wondered, however, if they try to make some repairs such as automatic transmission woes to be just a plain hassle in hopes people will give up on the vehicle and buy a new one.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by Loadstar View Post
    This schematic was one of the best free things I have ever picked up. In a short time I have absorbed a lot of SD info.
    That schematic looks extremely useful. Somebody spent some time laying that out to be clear and easy to use.
    "The best things in life are free" -- must be true.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

Several things come into factor...
    Cars are over engineered to a point...
    Repairs are more difficult because we as novices don't do them on a regular basis...
    And some things that automotive engineers do are just plain stupid...
    My dad has an 06 Cadillac that requires removal of the inside front wheel fender well to replace a head light bulb...
    Ridiculous...
    On the other hand, my 01 Buick Lesabre has the fuel gauge sensor accessible through the trunk via a port located in the trunk...
    This was an improvement made I think on the 1999 or 200 models...
    So sometime they eventually get it right...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast