Cars are really hard to work on anymore

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #31  
I still get windows that I crank up and down, and avoid the automatic doors loks. Want to guess what is one of the things that will go wrong with a rig? Electric windows. Of course, I have to order them as manual, in the F-250, as most folks seem to like them. And I miss the vent windows, although my 1991 F-150 still has them.

I once had a problem with a power window on a five year old 1955 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and I had to work on the power windows on a 6 or 7 year old 1972 Chrysler Town & Country station wagon, but now we have a 2001 Ford Ranger and 2002 Ford Crown Vic; both with power windows, power mirrors, power door locks, keypad on the driver's door, etc. and everything works. And while I liked the wing vents on cars and trucks, I'd hate to be without those three power options.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #32  
Airplanes used to be so simple you could do engine work anywhere.

CubEngine.jpg

Bruce

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #33  
Yes, Bruce, my Cessna 140A was an easy keeper. And the J-3 even easier! Now, try finding someone that can fly the taildraggers! I still prefer them though, since you fly them "block to block".

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #34  
In my Father's day, it was normal for most working class men to work on their own vehicles.

Today, no. How much of that is due to what we TBN'ers consider design defects (optimizations to the Manufacturer) and how much of that is due to the general population wanting to only have a TV remote in their hands in their spare time ? Would be interesting (to me at least) to see a valid survey done on that debate.

On my old Volvo (89) I can change a headlight bulb in 2 minutes. No tools, and with a coffee cup in one hand (not joking). I think Western Europe used to have transport laws based around changing discrete halogen bulbs at the side of the road quickly, with zero tools required. Govt legislation that made sense - clearly from another vanished time.....

Today.... there is a era of Ford Escape V6 that requires the Intake Manifold to be pulled to get at the rear spark plugs. As stated, if you have a bit of experience, probably not a big deal - IMO though, definitely not a novice Saturday DIY project.

Not picking on Ford, most of the modern platforms have their service quirks.

I understand and value B+D's point about the advances that automotive engineers have pulled off in many areas - in my lifetime engines have come a long way.

But.... it still twicks me off that a 2000 Civic requires a lift of some sort, to be able to access the oil filter.

Yes.... many have these choices have been made to make DIY service less appealing. Just my obsolete Canuck :2cents:

Rgds, D.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #35  
Cars designed for the US market are made so that nothing needs to be serviced, at least by the original owner. The car companies could care less about the needs of the second, 3rd and 4th owners. The only companies who plan for servicing are the Germans, because its ingrained in their culture. Of course, if you didn't buy a maintenance manual for their car, you may not know what they intended. Audi for example has many items attached to the front bumper assembly. It is made that the bumper, front valance, headlamps, radiator, AC condensor all are tied to the bumper and for servicing just a few bolts get pulled and the whole assembly slides forward to give you about 8" of working space.

So the first thing to do is always to get a manual, because it may not be apparent how the factory intended the job to be done.

On my F250 (2008 diesel) for many engine repairs the cab has to come completely off the frame. How about trying that at home ? I'm starting to think that getting a Ford diesel was a big mistake. Changed the battery in a Chevy Venture yet ? How about an $1200 bill for changing a $120 in tank fuel pump in a Venture ? I changed it in the dealers parking lot on a Sunday afternoon after I saw what they wanted. That was after it left my wife stranded in the middle of no-where in the middle of the night... Eventually it turned out to not even be the pump, but rather corroded connectors on a "sealed" connector in the floor of the vehicle. An average Joe would have been stuck with a $1200 bill for something he didn't even need.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #36  
I must admit that there are a few things from my "older" vehicle that one just doesn't think about with the "newer" ones.

How many people miss points and condensers?
Timing Lights?

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #37  
So the first thing to do is always to get a manual, because it may not be apparent how the factory intended the job to be done.

I used to buy the factory service manual when I bought a new car or pickup, but they got too expensive. My last one was for my 1989 one ton dually chevy extended cab. And of course I bought the Workshop Manual and Illustrated Parts List for my 1999 Kubota B2710.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #38  
I managed to change the oil pump pickup tube in a motel parking lot for a Ford Ranger.
It looked like they had actually designed the oil pickup head to collect sludge, and not release it. No amount of additive/rinses would have made a dent in it.

Note the plate covering most of the screen. The only purpose I can figure out for the plate is to trap sludge, which is then followed by a costly (or at least frustrating) repair.

127s_bottom.jpg

Anyway, without a cherry picker, I had to come as close to pulling the engine as one could come without actually pulling the engine. I think I even separated the engine from the tranny.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #39  
I just purchased a 2013 Cadillac XTS Premium. I have always did all the light service work, rotate tires, oil - filter change, spark plugs, serpentine belts, etc on vehicle I own in the garage. I raised the hood on the car and got one of those uh-o moments. The rear spark plugs are somewhere back there. I have been unable to see or determine how one would change the plugs short of doing as some have mention of removing or partially removing the engine. The oil filter on the front of the engine I am still debating on how to remove. The oil drain plug is in an almost impossible place to reach. If a headlight bulb ever needs replacing I guess the front of the car will have to be removed. I have a friend who owns/operates a large garage. I called him and he laughed and advised his system would be up-graded-dated shortly to include the 2013 shop manuals. I am seriously thinking of stopping by and spend a day on his shop computer to determine the recommended way to do the light service work I have in the past been able to do.

/ Cars are really hard to work on anymore #40  
Did you hear about the guy who went into an auto parts store and said to the clerk, "Can I get a new gas cap for a Yugo?"

The clerk thought for a second and said, "That seems like a fair trade.":laughing: