in the market for an old vw bug

/ in the market for an old vw bug #41  
I've restored 4 bugs over the past 30 years, each requiring more and more work, the first one was a '72 I think I got it in 1982 it was a 10 year old car at the time and only in need of a clutch, paint job and some minor interior work, I kept it about 1 year and sold it, It seems each time I get one to fix up and drive someone will offer me a price for it I cannot refuse :cool: skipping through to the 4th one I restored iworked on it about 1 year got it on the road it 2008 , the very first day on the road while filling it up with gas at a service station I was asked if I'd be interested in selling it, My reply was not right now I just got it on the road and I'd like to drive it a while, The guy wouldn't take no for an answer, He then ask would I take 5-k for it, Gulp! I said I'de have to go home to get the paperwork and when would he like to meet? The Moral to the story is be on the alert that folks will want to buy it from you, Insodently I have another now, '73 Beetle awaiting to be restored, with fuel cost these days I know I'm not selling this one,
Most any of the old VW are bringing big $$$ once restored, the ones I have found to be worth more than any of the others are the Limited built ( Thing ) I've seen these sale for up to 30-k , if you can find one of them cheap let me know, I've been looking to restore one for several years, I just can't justify having to pay 5-k for a rusty none runing one.
here is a picture of the last one I restored, Notice the seats, I had the only known VW with electric power seats

Attachments

• IM000626.JPG
    IM000626.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IM000627.JPG
    IM000627.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 136
  • IM000345.JPG
    IM000345.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / in the market for an old vw bug #42  
Soundguy, I know where you could get one REAL cheap. No worries about rotted out floor pans, it doesn't have any. The seats need to be re-upholstered, but the metal seat frames havent completely rusted away yet. I'll see if I can snap a picture if we end up near it on Sunday :D.

Aaron Z

/ in the market for an old vw bug #43  
any bug affictionados here?

anything ai need to look out for other than the normal rotted out floor pans.. and rusted out front suspension.. brakes..e tc.

I've done SOME research.. have seenthe mroe rare split and oval rear windows.. wetc.

have seent he later mex units..e tc.

what's the deal witht he electromagnetic clutch I have read about? and early units are what? 4 spd.. vs 3spd later? 61+??

My '59 had a 36hp engine, and 4 in the floor. It got great milage ( 34), but in the Texas summer, we had the 2/60 A/C. For any young ones, that's 2 windows down and 60mph. And 60 was close to top end, unless you were going down a steep hill! And you could figure your taxes waiting for it to accelerate to top end! Heat took a long time to get, with the air cooled engine, in the winter, but if you had a long enough trip, it could cook you out, it got so hot, unless you cut the flow to minimum.

Mine had a 6v battery, and a generator that didn't charge as well at idle, but with no accessories (one 6v AM radio), the battery didn't drain. My biggest complaint was the windshield wipers. Even with new blades, they just streaked. Not enough downflow (or was it too much lift?) on them, and they didn't make tight contact with the windshield.

It also had no gas gauge. It had what was called a "reserve tank". When you felt it sputter, you reached up with your right foot, to a lever that was upright in normal position, and tripped it clockwise to the right, 90*. That actually opened up an outlet for fuel to flow, so you could use the last gallon of fuel from the 10.3 gallon tank. When you refueled, you needed to be sure you returned the lever to the upright position, or next time it sputtered, you were already on fumes.

Great car! Dependable and solid. Made out of 12 ga metal, so could stand up to hail and such, and probably even survive a rollover with very little damage. I hope that you can find one as good!

/ in the market for an old vw bug
i found a 55 for sale near me but can't get the owner on the phone :(

/ in the market for an old vw bug #45  
'73 was stored inside for the last 7 years, just moved her out last fall. I'll let it go pretty cheap...

dash.jpgleft.jpgseats.jpg

A TX vehicle and the pans are not rusted through.

if it was closer. :)

I'd spend more than it costs to go get it though.. :) done that on a few tractors.. :) gotta watch it.. :)

I know how that is :rolleyes:

i remember running to texas once to get a 1500$ tractor.. cost me 900$ in fuel, 145 in lodging, 200$ in food, and I tossed a buddy that went with me to help drive a hundred.

the tractor needed a full restoration.. had no tins..e tc. loader needed cyls rebuild.

hood alone cost me 450$

I really shoulda thought thatr one thru more.. :)

/ in the market for an old vw bug #49  
Yeah that's whats bad, is the fuel! I'm sure we all can remember complaining when fuel hit $1.00 a gallon. :eek:

/ in the market for an old vw bug #50  
For a while they sold gas per 1/2 gallon because the pumps would only register up to .999!