in the market for an old vw bug

/ in the market for an old vw bug #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
any bug affictionados here?

anything ai need to look out for other than the normal rotted out floor pans.. and rusted out front suspension.. brakes..e tc.

I've done SOME research.. have seenthe mroe rare split and oval rear windows.. wetc.

have seent he later mex units..e tc.

what's the deal witht he electromagnetic clutch I have read about? and early units are what? 4 spd.. vs 3spd later? 61+??

/ in the market for an old vw bug #2  
I should know more about them as my brother was a VW mechanic for many years and once took three cars he had in his shop and put them together for me when that was all I could afford. It had a 68 body and 71 motor I think, it was red, blue and gray and cost $600 which included a compete overhaul. All the ones I drove back to 61 were four speeds, stay away from the automatics and ones with fuel injection which came about in the 70's and the ones with AC had some problems.

According to my brother the Mexican units were made in their original form long after the ones in the US were "upgraded".

I loved the old things, I had two, but the prices for good ones around here are outrageous. I also have become accustomed to heaters that heat more than your feet and defrosters, for fun though you can't beat them. He still has an old sand rail somewhere out at the farm I think.

I would ask him for some pointers, but he never answers his email and his work hours are crazy as he is gearing up for retirement. Good luck.

/ in the market for an old vw bug
yep.. i want a carb and manual.. no auto sticks.. ugh...

/ in the market for an old vw bug #4  
the electric clutch was operated by a pressure sensor in the stick shift ...
sensed the hand on the stick, disengaged the clutch, when you lifted the hand , the clutch engaged by itself ( without stalling the engine )

bugs had 900 CC 1100 1200 1300 1500 1600 engines ... no oil filters but did have an oil screen.

heater boxes rusted out quickly ( ran down the sides in the rockers )

engines were rated for 300,000 miles before rebuild

trannies were rated for only 150,000 miles

came in BUG (type1) bus (type2) fastback and squareback (type3)

type 2 and 3 had suitcase (pancake) engines ,,, type 1 had the doghouse cooling system

biggest mechanical problem with type 1 was the front tranny mount to the body ( thunk when shifting ) , followed by the 2 biscuit tranny mounts

thanks for the info.

/ in the market for an old vw bug #6  
You going to keep it in stock form or modify the body for off-road looks?

/ in the market for an old vw bug #7  
thanks for the info.

I've owned a couple, and my daughters both had bugs when they first started driving. My first one was a 70, and although it was rusted badly, I really enjoyed driving it. It was great down town, I could get around quickly and it was easy to park. It ate a valve one day and I traded it to my mechanic for and engine overhaul on my daughter's car. She had a Superbeetle; lost an engine when the cut off on the carb malfunctioned and filled the crank case up with gasoline. Lost second engine when she ran it out of oil. My other daughter wrecked her Superbeetle convertible, I inherited it and when I had it restored, I ordered a Weber carb and it ran like a champ.

My biggest complaint, other than the poorly functioning heater/defroster, was the continual maintenance. You had to keep the valves adjusted, the clutch adjusted and as I recall, the brakes were manually adjusted. But they were fun. Putting brushes in the generator was a fun experience also...

You going to keep it in stock form or modify the body for off-road looks?

stock / on road for sure.

I myself wouldn't mind a sun-bug or dune buggy.. but i'd never get the wife in it.. :)

i think i'll have to rig up something other than the spare tire to run the ww sprayer though. my wife uses the ww's alot.. the spare would constantly be empty.. :)

/ in the market for an old vw bug #10  
Had a Kharman Ghia in 72 . Great little car in the snow , but the defrost left alot to be desired .