Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #1  

bigpete

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60
I'm convinced. My better half is half-convinced. It's time for me to step up to the world of pickup truck ownership.

Until this weekend I've been planning on trading our sedan for another sedan, but I have decided that all of our family needs and my personal property maintenance needs will be better served with our 2002 Toyota Sienna mini van, a new Toyota Tundra, and a 12-foot dual axle utility trailer with electric brakes.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Tundra this week but wanted feedback from the most constructive resource for personal opinion on such things. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Tundra would have to have the towing option that includes a Class IV hitch, tranny oil cooler, etc. I believe the rear end is 3.91 ratio, and I would get the 4x4 SR5 extended cab--bedliner w/lipover and the V8 powerplant. A few have 17" wheels but I could live with 16"ers and the rest of the options would be of less consequence.

I will occasionally trailer my JD2210 with loader and box blade which will just fit (with a little extra room) on the 6.5x12' trailer. The tow kit on the Tundra includes the 7-pin RV setup and harness for a brake controller. Of course, the trailer may be used for non-tractor trailering behind the Sienna which also has a towing package with Class III 3,500 pound capacity.

What have I missed? The Tundra appears to be the right size for the garage, towing, and by my experience, the best ride of any truck this size (or bigger). Obviously, I'm a Toyota guy and would never have considered them as a source for a truck until the Tundra came along. Any other Tundra owners out there who can provide me with affirmation or tell me I'm /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif?

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #2  
bigpete, I am the only Tundra owner here I bet. My Tundra has been, like every Toyota, totally trouble free. It is also totally quiet, rattle and squeak free and goes like a scalded cat when you mash on the pedal--much to the dismay of many so called domestics that think they need to pass me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
Mine is a Tundra Limited, towing package, ABS, 4X4, TRD package etc. It has the 17 inch wheels and I would get that.
I have 35,000 miles on mine now.
The Tundra is tough, it has been prooven--everyone on TBN likes proof--in the crash testing the Tundra came out on top, the Ford failed and the Cheby and Dodge were marginal. The Tundra got excellent ratings in both side and frontal collisions and offset collisions.
The Tundra tows well though I have not pulled anyhting bigger than my 16 foot flatbed with Tractor. One thing I am dissapointed in is offroad capability. I had gotten spoiled by my little Toyota. The big Tundra, is just that--big--and simply cannot do the things the mini trucks can--oh well.
If heavy duty towing is your need then you will need a domestic like the Ford F250 etc but for more normal needs the Tundra is perfect. Did I mention that it is FAST /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. J

PS, get a spray in liner.

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra
Thanks, J. Good to hear from someone as discerning as you when it comes to big-ticket items..

I just found a site dedicated to Tundra owners that has quite a few candid posts (both praise and problems) about the '00, '01, and '02 models. Nothing on '03s really. The most frequently mentioned issue was a TSB on brakes, and O2 sensors. Nothing that you wouldn't find on any other brand. Lots and lots of praise for the acceleration and ride. Lot's of guys beating the schnoz out of them. And yes, one guy who still loves his "lemon." Just like tractors, huh?

You may have already been and joined. Here's the link: Tundrasolutions

Don't think I'll ever be towing over 5,000 pounds, but would be ready to go a bit higher with the Tundra. I'm cutting out of work a little early today to get back on the rollercoaster to he!! that is the process of wrangling with smarmy car sales(wo)men. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding playing their games, armed with all the info, but they still insist on taking a little piece of a buyer's soul with every transaction.

Thanks for the affirmation. I'll let you know if everything comes together. If it doesn't, I'll be buying another Avalon and picking up a 1990 F150 4x2 to beat upon.

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #4  
Well, I hope it works out for you bigpete. I am pretty sure you would like the Tundra but an old Ford might be good to beat up too.
Kinda funny but down south and out west I see lots of Tundras and Toyotas in general but here in the Heartland mostly Chebys and Fords.
I think the tow rating is 7,000 lbs for the Tundra 2 wheel drive and slightly less for the heavier 4X4. The Tundra, according to several car rags has one of the stiffest cabin structures ever manufactured. The thing is certainly rock solid.

Things I don't like,
1. I like blue better than forest green and they did not have a blue color the year I got mine.
2. the brakes, from mile one have on occasion a slight vibration unnoticed by all but me.
3. I wish it had the rubber bed rail protectors like the newer ones have.
4. I wish it had full time 4X4 or locking hubs instead of the pushbutton selector for 4WD
5. mine did not have a limited slip, I had to get an aftermarket unit, actually a locker---works fine.
6. I would like a supercharged version
7. I wish it were slightly smaller
8. that darn serpentine belt started getting squeaky sometimes about a month ago--you cannot hear it in the cab--you don't hear anything in the cab including the engine
9. The BF Goodrich tires it came with are not up to Goodrich's usual high standards, they tend to hydroplane and they did not have nearly the tread depth I expect from Goodrich
9. Toyota's styling in general is too conservative and the Tundra while nice looking is no exception to this conservative bent Toyota is on.
10. Nissan will have a bigger more powerful truck--oh well

As you can see no real complaints. I drove it off the lot and it has not been back since. The ONLY service has been Mobil 1 oil and filter every 5,000 miles. J

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #5  
seeing that your in deleware I would suggest you get some weights for the back of the truck to keep it from comming around and biting you int he snow and ice.

J., that's about the same list I found at the Tundrasolutions website. FYI--there is apparently a Tech Service Bulletin on the brakes and a warranted upgrade for your truck. From what I read, you may have to push a little to get your dealer's service manager to look up the service bulletin. There are TSBs for both the front a rear brakes on the '00-'02 models. They apparently took care of the issue in the '03 model year--calipers, rotors, etc.. Also something about the seat belt retractor and exhaust manifolds (unrelated, of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

I'm settling on a SR5 V8 TRD 4x4 w/towing package and bedliner. I know you recommend a spray-in liner, but all the inventory I have seen this late in the model year has either the liner or a cap, which (the cap) makes no sense for my use.

Since your bumper-to-bumper is about to expire, you may want to complain about your brakes, etc. Just as with every other machine owner in the world, there are Tundra owners complaining about fighting with their service managers trying to get Toyota to pay for their brake problems at 60K and higher.

Not that I want or need it, but it looks like there will be a Tundra quad cab out in November. The extended cab is enough for me and my long firearms or golf clubs.

More later.

Quad-cab pic

Attachments

• 303571-2004tundra.jpg
    303571-2004tundra.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 167
Ballast, ballast, ballast. Just can't seem to get away from the need.

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I will occasionally trailer my JD2210 with loader and box blade which will just fit (with a little extra room) on the 6.5x12' trailer. )</font>

You didn't mention what thought process you went through to decide on a 12' trailer. I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

My experience has shown that the 16' trailers are typically the same price as the 12' and 14' trailers. The excuse given to me was that the metal used to make the trailers come in 16' lengths; they have to cut the metal in order to build the 12' and 14' trailers (translated...more labor).

If you ever trailered the tractor with a bush hog attached rather than the box blade, you will probably wish that you had the 16' trailer. I think that longer trailers are easier to back up, but obviously harder to store when not in use. There has been an ocassion or two where I've gone down to one of the local lumber stores to purchase 16' boards and took my 16' trailer so I wouldn't have to worry about putting red flags on the part that hung over the end.

Again, just my 2 cents worth on the trailer.

Kelvin

/ Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra #10  
BigPete,

Hopefully this info is not to late.

Toyota is going to have a full size pick up, the Titan available
12/1/2003. It has a crew cab or king cab. Toyota is aiming
for the Big Three fullsize pickup market.

The article I read said that prices have not been announced.

The article is in todays Wall Street Journal. I have seen the
Titan mentioned in other places but I could not remember the
name until I saw the article.

FYI,
Dan McCarty