Help with Wife's laptop..

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
:anyone: My wife's laptop is running windows 7 and is hooked up to another external monitor , so when we first got it we had it set so my wife could turn on her computer then close the lid on her laptop and use the screen on the free standing monitor....now for some reason the laptop has to be left open so there are two monitors on with the same thing on them...it gets confusing to her...I have tried searching the net...and I can't figure out how to get it to go back where she can close the lid to the laptop and then only use the freestanding monitor next to it....

Any ideas will be appreciated...

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #2  
Check to see if the laptop is going to sleep when she closes the lid. You can check this in the Power Options in the Control Panel.

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #3  
In the bottom right, click on the battery icon and click 'More Power Options.' Click 'Choose what closing the lid does' over on the left. Next to 'When I close the lid:', ensure that both options say 'Do nothing' and you should be good.

Personally, with a laptop and monitor, I like to use dual monitors with different things on each screen (email on the laptop screen, real work on the larger monitor), but that's just me. I'm a computer programmer, so I spend a lot of time at my PC. :)

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #5  
In the bottom right, click on the battery icon and click 'More Power Options.' Click 'Choose what closing the lid does' over on the left. Next to 'When I close the lid:', ensure that both options say 'Do nothing' and you should be good.
Exactly.

Aaron Z

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #6  
Most newer laptops also allow you to display different information on the screen and the external monitor.
It can be handy sometimes to have two screens so that you can reference one screen while using the other. Or, perhaps leaving e-mail open on one screen while working on the other.

/ Help with Wife's laptop..
:anyone: My wife's laptop is running windows 7 and is hooked up to another external monitor , so when we first got it we had it set so my wife could turn on her computer then close the lid on her laptop and use the screen on the free standing monitor....now for some reason the laptop has to be left open so there are two monitors on with the same thing on them...it gets confusing to her...I have tried searching the net...and I can't figure out how to get it to go back where she can close the lid to the laptop and then only use the freestanding monitor next to it....

Any ideas will be appreciated...

Check to see if the laptop is going to sleep when she closes the lid. You can check this in the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Personally, with a laptop and monitor, I like to use dual monitors with different things on each screen (email on the laptop screen, real work on the larger monitor), but that's just me. I'm a computer programmer, so I spend a lot of time at my PC. :)

Did you try FN F8 (or F7 on some) ?

Exactly.

Aaron Z

Thank you all ...I have printed all of these solutions and will try them tonight...You guys may make me a hero...I will post back the results...and yes I will give credit where credit is due...I will tell my wife you guys helped me...:thumbsup:

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #8  
Thank you all ...I have printed all of these solutions and will try them tonight...You guys may make me a hero...I will post back the results...and yes I will give credit where credit is due...I will tell my wife you guys helped me...:thumbsup:

Your wife doesn't know us, don't give us credit! Let her think you're a hero...we won't mind! :)

Plus, maybe it'll get you a few brownie points! :thumbsup:

/ Help with Wife's laptop.. #10  
Cant have too many "Brownie points" when its "tractor buying" time! ;)