Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Help with Wife's laptop..

My wife's laptop is running windows 7 and is hooked up to another external monitor , so when we first got it we had it set so my wife could turn on her computer then close the lid on her laptop and use the screen on the free standing monitor....now for some reason the laptop has to be left open so there are two monitors on with the same thing on them...it gets confusing to her...I have tried searching the net...and I can't figure out how to get it to go back where she can close the lid to the laptop and then only use the freestanding monitor next to it....

Any ideas will be appreciated...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    2005 New Holland TC35A

Default Re: Help with Wife's laptop..

Check to see if the laptop is going to sleep when she closes the lid. You can check this in the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

In the bottom right, click on the battery icon and click 'More Power Options.' Click 'Choose what closing the lid does' over on the left. Next to 'When I close the lid:', ensure that both options say 'Do nothing' and you should be good.

Personally, with a laptop and monitor, I like to use dual monitors with different things on each screen (email on the laptop screen, real work on the larger monitor), but that's just me. I'm a computer programmer, so I spend a lot of time at my PC.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Did you try FN F8 (or F7 on some) ?
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
    In the bottom right, click on the battery icon and click 'More Power Options.' Click 'Choose what closing the lid does' over on the left. Next to 'When I close the lid:', ensure that both options say 'Do nothing' and you should be good.
    Exactly.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Most newer laptops also allow you to display different information on the screen and the external monitor.
    It can be handy sometimes to have two screens so that you can reference one screen while using the other. Or, perhaps leaving e-mail open on one screen while working on the other.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    My wife's laptop is running windows 7 and is hooked up to another external monitor , so when we first got it we had it set so my wife could turn on her computer then close the lid on her laptop and use the screen on the free standing monitor....now for some reason the laptop has to be left open so there are two monitors on with the same thing on them...it gets confusing to her...I have tried searching the net...and I can't figure out how to get it to go back where she can close the lid to the laptop and then only use the freestanding monitor next to it....

Any ideas will be appreciated...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck_Randy View Post
    Check to see if the laptop is going to sleep when she closes the lid. You can check this in the Power Options in the Control Panel.

Personally, with a laptop and monitor, I like to use dual monitors with different things on each screen (email on the laptop screen, real work on the larger monitor), but that's just me. I'm a computer programmer, so I spend a lot of time at my PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    Did you try FN F8 (or F7 on some) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Exactly.

Aaron Z
    Thank you all ...I have printed all of these solutions and will try them tonight...You guys may make me a hero...I will post back the results...and yes I will give credit where credit is due...I will tell my wife you guys helped me...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Thank you all ...I have printed all of these solutions and will try them tonight...You guys may make me a hero...I will post back the results...and yes I will give credit where credit is due...I will tell my wife you guys helped me...
    Your wife doesn't know us, don't give us credit! Let her think you're a hero...we won't mind!

Plus, maybe it'll get you a few brownie points!

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Your wife doesn't know us, don't give us credit! Let her think you're a hero...we won't mind!
    Plus, maybe it'll get you a few brownie points!
    This ^

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Cant have too many "Brownie points" when its "tractor buying" time!
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast