sharkbite

/ sharkbite #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
anyone have experience using sharkbite fittings? i need to run a couple (one hot one cold)of lines to a new basement sink. I will have to put a couple of tees into 3/4" copper and would like to transition to 1/2" pex. i never used pex before either so any advice there is also welcome.

/ sharkbite #2  
Pex is great, easy to use, route and very forgiving. Sharkbite connectors just push on and lock, simple, but pricey. I prefer to use regular pex connectors because of the price.

/ sharkbite #4  
I haven't seen anything that says they don't work, and I use them sometimes to plug a line, but as a contractor, I don't trust them enough to use them on a job that will be covered up. Like all things plastic, you take a chance on how long it will last.

Eddie

/ sharkbite #5  
I have used them. I wouldn't use them in a place I didn't want to get wet in the event they come off.For a more secure install use the crimp tool and rings

/ sharkbite #6  
I work with a plumbing contractor and we use shark bite fittings all the time, with no issues.

/ sharkbite #7  
I work with a plumbing contractor and we use shark bite fittings all the time, with no issues.

I know plumbers that use them, but
As a plumbing contractor myself. I don't want the liability

/ sharkbite
well that was easy. the worst part was getting wet when i cut the existing tubing. i used gatorbites since i was in lowes. have to admit that it was almost too easy which makes me worry about the longevity. but the connections aren't hidden and are accessible if the need arises.

/ sharkbite #9  
I have used them as shut offs for quite a while now and no complaints -- like others have said I was concerned about failure but given that even conventional shutoffs seem to have leaking problems most of the time when you turn them off and then back on I don't think its much of an issue. They might seem expensive but they really save time when working in tight quarters and no danger of fire from solder or an improper pex crimp because of awkward position -- JMHO

/ sharkbite #10  
I used them to connect PCV to copper line for a water softener. They were a big time saver for me. They are a little expensive but the time saved made them very worthwhile for me.