future trends in equipment

/ future trends in equipment #11  
Biogas production is more advanced in third world countrys. India has had a Biogas push from the fifties. I have a book about the Indian government efforts in developing this simple technology on small farms for energy for farm engines and home use. I will try to find that title.

These people are still having success with their food waste + manure anerobic biogas digester.
Exeter farm uses poop to produce energy — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Fosters.com, Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

“We combined about 7.3 million gallons of cow manure with food waste in our first year, allowing us to produce 5.2 million kilowatt hours of electricity for the grid,” said Adam Wintle, managing partner of Biogas Energy Partners (Biogas Energy Partners), the development arm of Exeter Agri-Energy. “That’s good in itself, but our ‘secret recipe’, so to speak, is what has the industry taking notice.”

"Wintle said the Maine project is the only one of its kind in New England that “co-digests” manure and food waste on a large scale. That presents Maine with a future opportunity to divert large amounts of food waste away from landfills and into energy production. He said the project has already created three full times jobs, and has allowed his family to begin considering future expansion of energy production and farm-associated ventures."

/ future trends in equipment #12  
"Wintle said the Maine project is the only one of its kind in New England that “co-digests” manure and food waste on a large scale. That presents Maine with a future opportunity to divert large amounts of food waste away from landfills and into energy production. He said the project has already created three full times jobs, and has allowed his family to begin considering future expansion of energy production and farm-associated ventures."
Mason-Dixon farms in PA runs a digester for their lagoons which provides enough gas to provide all of their power and sell some back to the utility.
American Farm :: Mason Dixon Farms in third decade of making energy from manure
Mason Dixon Farms
Mason Dixon Farm Freestall Setup - YouTube

When we went through, they were also experimenting with a 3 phase 480v generator on the crank of some of their tractors and then running power back to the implement instead of using a PTO and hydraulics.

Aaron Z

/ future trends in equipment #13  
How about robotics -- unmanned farm equipment? I've seen experimental machines featured on some of the farm shows on TV and in articles in the farm press.

Steve

I hope not, I really LIKE driving my tractor!:laughing:

/ future trends in equipment #14  
Mason-Dixon farms in PA runs a digester for their lagoons which provides enough gas to provide all of their power and sell some back to the utility.
American Farm :: Mason Dixon Farms in third decade of making energy from manure
Mason Dixon Farms
Mason Dixon Farm Freestall Setup - YouTube

When we went through, they were also experimenting with a 3 phase 480v generator on the crank of some of their tractors and then running power back to the implement instead of using a PTO and hydraulics.

Aaron Z

I guess there are many ways that digester power could be put to farm use. Irrigation pumps, grain dryers, feed grinders, ventilation fans, milk chillers, etc.

Large capital investment needed, but if thought about strategically; "If power is dirt cheap, what can I do with it?", it leads to all sorts of synergies. Greenhouses, aqua/hydroponics for example are energy intensive.

/ future trends in equipment #15  
GM sells a home refuel center for cng, also most of the gas wells around here in pa are rural. I have one going in at the top of my property in a few weeks.
I saw on rfdtv a show on the mason dixon farm it was great.