future trends in equipment

/ future trends in equipment #1  

brain55

Veteran Member
In writing my business plan one of the topics is "future industry trends". I have my own ideas but wanted to see what others had to say. I expect the "green" movement to follow into the equipment world. Obviously we are seeing the push for lower emissions with the Tier IV engine and I believe Caterpillar and others are experimenting with Hybrids, Electrics, and Fuel Cell technologies. Right or wrong good or bad these thing will likely be explored further. Are there any other things you think we might see.

Thanks,
Brian

/ future trends in equipment #2  
I would expect more communications penetration into equipment service.

It's pretty dorky to have some member posting here on how do I decode this or that message on the newer tractors. I don't mean the member is dorky, the method is. As the controls on equipment become more complex, the method of service needs to keep pace.

Ten to fifteen years ago, equipment in large computer systems started using "phone home" technology. If there was a serious error, the unit would place a call to the service center with some diagnostic info. With greater mobile communications capability now, that could be applied to equipment, for all I know maybe it is already.

It could be set up like OnStar. During the warranty period it is part of the package, you can extend that service for a fee after that has expired. Maybe not something your average hobby user would pay for, but if it reduces downtime for large operators, they could justify the cost.

/ future trends in equipment #3  
How about robotics -- unmanned farm equipment? I've seen experimental machines featured on some of the farm shows on TV and in articles in the farm press.

Steve

/ future trends in equipment #4  
   / future trends in equipment #5  
I would think that in areas where natural gas is being developed you will see more engines switched over. Imagine being able to refuel at your house vs paying to have diesel trucked in.

/ future trends in equipment #6  
Its my understanding that rural farms run on electricity, diesel and propane, not compressed natural gas, which is what they are converting engines to in cities for better emissions. There may not be a supply of natural gas at rural homes, and even if there is, you'd have to purchase compression equipment and storage tanks. On large farms, you'd have to get a mobile CNG tanker to refill your equipment in the field, VS the much safer and less expensive diesel transfer tanks and pumps. I don't see large farms converting their equipment to CNG in the near or distant future. Nor do I see road construction equipment converting either. The only things I do see converting to CNG is in-town delivery vehicles, city maintenance vehicles and machinery, police and fire vehicles, etc...

/ future trends in equipment #7  
... I expect the "green" movement to follow into the equipment world. Obviously we are seeing the push for lower emissions...

Zero emission green tractors:

264472_10150268575077733_7123192732_7236636_3813280_n.jpg

Greentractor.jpg

Bruce

/ future trends in equipment #8  
My Dad worked on a Rice farm and Almond orchard that used mainly Propane fuel crawlers and tractors. This was in the early sixtys.
My Brother is a agriculture equipment mechanic. Has been for many years. Mainly Harvestors for Peas and grass seed. He say's that most everything in use today was thought about or was in the experimental stage decades ago. Just refined as the technology is improved and accepted.

Steyr Presents Dedicated Natural Gas Tractor | NGV Global

/ future trends in equipment #9  
My Dad worked on a Rice farm and Almond orchard that used mainly Propane fuel crawlers and tractors. This was in the early sixtys.
My Brother is a agriculture equipment mechanic. Has been for many years. Mainly Harvestors for Peas and grass seed. He say's that most everything in use today was thought about or was in the experimental stage decades ago. Just refined as the technology is improved and accepted.

Steyr Presents Dedicated Natural Gas Tractor | NGV Global

Very interesting. Perhaps it will happen sooner than I expect.
I wonder if biogas plants at crop farms are plausible or is it only at ones with animal operations? Something to think about business-wise.

/ future trends in equipment #10  
Very interesting. Perhaps it will happen sooner than I expect.
I wonder if biogas plants at crop farms are plausible or is it only at ones with animal operations? Something to think about business-wise.

Biogas production is more advanced in third world countrys. India has had a Biogas push from the fifties. I have a book about the Indian government efforts in developing this simple technology on small farms for energy for farm engines and home use. I will try to find that title.