Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

Write them down, keep the list in a safe. That way you only have one absolute must remember one.
    If you have a home office and it's a disaster area, you can slip the list into any of the piles making it difficult for a thief to find it quickly.
    There is no such thing as 100% security and still have the ability to use whatever you secured. All you can do is make it harder for the bad guys. Hopefully hard enough that they go somewhere else instead, or give it up as a lost cause.
    The point is, if they're in your house, workshop, barn, or office; you've already lost 80% of the battle.

By the way, first place to look is under the blotter, under the keyboard, the phone, on top of stuff in any of the drawers, pinned to the bulletin board or wall, or written on the safe or a sticky pasted right on the computer monitor or keyboard.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I think that it is highly improbable that someone breaking into a Home is focused on obtaining someone's passwords. Time would be of essence, and the search would more likely to involve things of value, such as Guns, Gold or Silver items, Electronics; etc. Even if one's Computer is stolen, I don't think that the Thief or Intruder would take the time to search for the Homeowner's passwords. That is unless the Domicle contains Government records pertaining to National Security, important transcipts relating to Government Policies, or a judicial representative's records associated with an very important case. Just my thoughts.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    I like LastPass personally.
    Ditto ... been using it for a couple years and with 200+ passwords it has made life soooo much simpler. Did I mention it's FREE!

A couple of things about passwords...

The best password is one that is changed regularly...the less secure the password the more-so...

FWIW...
    For the most part...almost all web based forums/message boards (and many other member-related sites) that use backend databases have built in password encryption...i.e., it is incorporated into either the database or the user interface software...What his means is...even the administrators and or site owners can not ever see what a user's actual password is...all they can see is the encrypted text... not to say this (encryption) can't be broken but it can take a very long time...and most site owners/admins are too busy to be hacking passwords...

If you've ever had to click on "lost password" to a site and they e-mailed you your original password I would not really trust the site...most secure sites require the change of a forgotten password...usually this is done by sending you an e-mail with a new password and a link to login with it and then either use the generated password or change it to one of your own...

IMO...you should NEVER use the same password on social networking sites that you use ANYWHERE else...
    Passwords are extremely hard to hack on most sites but if you use the same (wimpy) password on multiple sites and any one of them is a social network site...you're a sitting duck...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    A couple of things about passwords...

The best password is one that is changed regularly...the less secure the password the more-so...

FWIW...
    For the most part...almost all web based forums/message boards (and many other member-related sites) that use backend databases have built in password encryption...i.e., it is incorporated into either the database or the user interface software...What his means is...even the administrators and or site owners can not ever see what a user's actual password is...all they can see is the encrypted text... not to say this (encryption) can't be broken but it can take a very long time...and most site owners/admins are too busy to be hacking passwords...

If you've ever had to click on "lost password" to a site and they e-mailed you your original password I would not really trust the site...most secure sites require the change of a forgotten password...usually this is done by sending you an e-mail with a new password and a link to login with it and then either use the generated password or change it to one of your own...

IMO...you should NEVER use the same password on social networking sites that you use ANYWHERE else...
    Passwords are extremely hard to hack on most sites but if you use the same (wimpy) password on multiple sites and any one of them is a social network site...you're a sitting duck...
    Well stated on your part...these are some of the reasons I have so many passwords and I change them at least 3 times a year and there are NO DUPLICATES AT ALL.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD X728

I just let mozilla firefox remember passwords and then put a password on the browser.

Mike
    accessories:

54" mowing deck, 3 bag bagger, 17P dumping yard cart, 47" snowblower, 54" blade, Johny bucket SR

Tractor
    new holland tn70

well you might say i'm a little old school but i use something that has been around for 100 years to keep track of my user names and pass words and this a roll a dex, all are listed and i just go to witch ever one i forgot and there it is. it's amazing with all the technolgy today and i would rather use something old. it works for me

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    john deere

why so many passwords. only one i care about is my bank account. All the other bullcrap such as forums,etc are all the same. someone can hack them and i don't care but why would they even try for those websites. nothing in it for them. use the same password for all of them unless it holds weight financially.

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

I keep them on a password protected Excel spread sheet along with serial#s and some other stuff.

Tractor
    2011 Kubota B3300SU

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post

Ditto ... been using it for a couple years and with 200+ passwords it has made life soooo much simpler. Did I mention it's FREE!
    I too love LastPass. You can choose to authenticate with a Yubikey (small USB device) as an enhanced level of protection too.
    Kubota BH77 Backhoe with Bro-Tek mechanical thumb & Bro-Tek Ripper Tooth; Loflin 48 inch forks; Bro-Tek 2" rear wheel spacers; StabilWorks custom stabilizers; EA 66" Box Blade; WoodMaxx WM-8H Chipper; NorTrac Quick Hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast