Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    PT-422

Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

Another vote for LastPass. I've only been using it a few months (after an article in Popular Science IIRC) and there is a learning curve but I was one that used easy passwords and similar ones on different sites.

LastPass's support is very good. I was having a problem on my newest Win7 machine and sent a request for help. It took two days because they said paid members had priority. I was ready to pay the $12/year but then couldn't find any other benefit other than priority on trouble-tickets. If I had a smart phone or other mobile devices, the paid program has benefits.

Phil

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Phils View Post
    Another vote for LastPass. I've only been using it a few months (after an article in Popular Science IIRC) and there is a learning curve but I was one that used easy passwords and similar ones on different sites.

LastPass's support is very good. I was having a problem on my newest Win7 machine and sent a request for help. It took two days because they said paid members had priority. I was ready to pay the $12/year but then couldn't find any other benefit other than priority on trouble-tickets. If I had a smart phone or other mobile devices, the paid program has benefits.

Phil
    Hi Phil, I am wondering if you are worried at all if Lastpass or any of these freeware programs can copy your passwords...? I worry about security so how would I know whether they have installed a bot or something with the software to upload back to them all my passwords....Just scary to me....Any thoughts ? Thanks.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Microsoft had a fingerprint reader that cost around 100 bucks,, easy to install,, works with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Does not work with Windows 7 tho,, My wife has one and she loves it,, Thinking about buy one for myself.. but any way someone may already mention it,, if so,, sorry for the repeat.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Lou66 View Post
    Microsoft had a fingerprint reader that cost around 100 bucks,, easy to install,, works with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Does not work with Windows 7 tho,, My wife has one and she loves it,, Thinking about buy one for myself.. but any way someone may already mention it,, if so,, sorry for the repeat.. Lou
    A gummy bear (properly applied) will defeat most fingerprint readers.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    JD 4120, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple

Hand written on Post it notes stuck inside of a Gideon New Testament.

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    A gummy bear (properly applied) will defeat most fingerprint readers.

Aaron Z
    That is what keeping me from getting one,, those grandkids and gummy bear.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Hi Phil, I am wondering if you are worried at all if Lastpass or any of these freeware programs can copy your passwords...? I worry about security so how would I know whether they have installed a bot or something with the software to upload back to them all my passwords....Just scary to me....Any thoughts ? Thanks.
    It's not out of the question that LastPass is secretly transmitting your passwords to the people at LastPass. Because LastPass is closed-source, it's not possible to independently verify the security of its code. However, I think that there are risks with every method of password storage, and the risk that LastPass is lying and is secretly copying your passwords is low. The risk that they may be accidentally copying your passwords is somewhat higher, but I'm still willing to accept it.

There are open-source alternatives to LastPass if you like, and those can be independently verified to be secure. However, they lack the main thing that I like about LastPass--cloud-based storage of the database. Well... some of them can be set up to work with DropBox, but that's kind of clunky.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Another vote for keepass. You still need a "master" password to log in to see the other passwords.

I can say this however - its easy to sync passwds or export/import if neededd somewhere else once you set it up - but to see the data - you still need the master password so there chance of being hacked is there - but its better then losing it completely or being furstrated with hundreds of passwords we have now.

Tractor
    PT-422

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Joshua said it better'n I could've.

After readiing that magazine article (which mentioned a few different programs but gave LastPass as "best" in their opinion) I searched and compared for over a week and looked at a couple other programs but ended up with LastPass. I'd tried another password program over a year ago and it was clunky and hard to use.

Phil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123