Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Platinum Member Phils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    767
    Location
    Cherokee, CA
    Tractor
    PT-422

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Another vote for LastPass. I've only been using it a few months (after an article in Popular Science IIRC) and there is a learning curve but I was one that used easy passwords and similar ones on different sites.

    LastPass's support is very good. I was having a problem on my newest Win7 machine and sent a request for help. It took two days because they said paid members had priority. I was ready to pay the $12/year but then couldn't find any other benefit other than priority on trouble-tickets. If I had a smart phone or other mobile devices, the paid program has benefits.

    Phil

  2. #22
    Super Star Member brin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,866
    Location
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phils View Post
    Another vote for LastPass. I've only been using it a few months (after an article in Popular Science IIRC) and there is a learning curve but I was one that used easy passwords and similar ones on different sites.

    LastPass's support is very good. I was having a problem on my newest Win7 machine and sent a request for help. It took two days because they said paid members had priority. I was ready to pay the $12/year but then couldn't find any other benefit other than priority on trouble-tickets. If I had a smart phone or other mobile devices, the paid program has benefits.

    Phil
    Hi Phil, I am wondering if you are worried at all if Lastpass or any of these freeware programs can copy your passwords...? I worry about security so how would I know whether they have installed a bot or something with the software to upload back to them all my passwords....Just scary to me....Any thoughts ? Thanks.
    Bob

    WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.


    NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Lou66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,271
    Location
    Brazoria county where Texas began
    Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Microsoft had a fingerprint reader that cost around 100 bucks,, easy to install,, works with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Does not work with Windows 7 tho,, My wife has one and she loves it,, Thinking about buy one for myself.. but any way someone may already mention it,, if so,, sorry for the repeat.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

  4. #24
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,570
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou66 View Post
    Microsoft had a fingerprint reader that cost around 100 bucks,, easy to install,, works with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Does not work with Windows 7 tho,, My wife has one and she loves it,, Thinking about buy one for myself.. but any way someone may already mention it,, if so,, sorry for the repeat.. Lou
    A gummy bear (properly applied) will defeat most fingerprint readers.

    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  5. #25
    Veteran Member dusty3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,463
    Location
    Arkansas!
    Tractor
    JD 4120, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Hand written on Post it notes stuck inside of a Gideon New Testament.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member Lou66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,271
    Location
    Brazoria county where Texas began
    Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    A gummy bear (properly applied) will defeat most fingerprint readers.

    Aaron Z
    That is what keeping me from getting one,, those grandkids and gummy bear.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

  7. #27
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Hi Phil, I am wondering if you are worried at all if Lastpass or any of these freeware programs can copy your passwords...? I worry about security so how would I know whether they have installed a bot or something with the software to upload back to them all my passwords....Just scary to me....Any thoughts ? Thanks.
    It's not out of the question that LastPass is secretly transmitting your passwords to the people at LastPass. Because LastPass is closed-source, it's not possible to independently verify the security of its code. However, I think that there are risks with every method of password storage, and the risk that LastPass is lying and is secretly copying your passwords is low. The risk that they may be accidentally copying your passwords is somewhat higher, but I'm still willing to accept it.

    There are open-source alternatives to LastPass if you like, and those can be independently verified to be secure. However, they lack the main thing that I like about LastPass--cloud-based storage of the database. Well... some of them can be set up to work with DropBox, but that's kind of clunky.

  8. #28
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,608
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Another vote for keepass. You still need a "master" password to log in to see the other passwords.

    I can say this however - its easy to sync passwds or export/import if neededd somewhere else once you set it up - but to see the data - you still need the master password so there chance of being hacked is there - but its better then losing it completely or being furstrated with hundreds of passwords we have now.

  9. #29
    Platinum Member Phils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    767
    Location
    Cherokee, CA
    Tractor
    PT-422

    Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

    Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Hi Phil, I am wondering if you are worried at all if Lastpass or any of these freeware programs can copy your passwords...? I worry about security so how would I know whether they have installed a bot or something with the software to upload back to them all my passwords....Just scary to me....Any thoughts ? Thanks.
    Joshua said it better'n I could've.

    After readiing that magazine article (which mentioned a few different programs but gave LastPass as "best" in their opinion) I searched and compared for over a week and looked at a couple other programs but ended up with LastPass. I'd tried another password program over a year ago and it was clunky and hard to use.

    Phil

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. track says hi
    By track in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
  2. bobcat passwords
    By Jerry Haynes in forum Bobcat Construction Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM
  3. asv track
    By allstar in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM
  4. Does anyone else keep track of these?
    By coachrusty in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 06:46 PM
  5. Recovering passwords file, Netscape 7.2
    By texbaylea in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.