Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default How do YOU keep track of passwords?

I added up all mine today, and the final total is 22 separate passwords !!! Needless to say, every one is different, and it's a real struggle at my age to remember the ones used only monthly. I keep a copy of all of them in the memo pad function of my Droid, password protected of course... and have a hard copy of them all stored in a folder in my budget book and another hard copy in my safe...

Sometimes I wish it wasn't such a headache trying to keep track of them all, and I recall working with somebody back in Y2K who told me he used the same password for everything, it was a stream of pure profanity with the first, third, and last letters capitalized with the number 1 prefacing the first word in the month of January, the number 2 prefacing the first word for the month of February, etc. He said if anybody could guess his password they were a lot smarter than he was...
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: How do YOU keep track of passwords?

Try KeePass Password Safe
    There are versions that work on Windows, Linux, Android, etc.
    You can also setup DropBox, have it sync the password database between your various devices and then run KeePass on your various devices. I know someone who does that on windows at home and at work and on an android phone.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

KeePass is good. I like LastPass personally. I used to use KeePass, but I found that LastPass's integration into browser and phone was more seamless. Basically, all I have to do is memorize one password--my LastPass master password--and LastPass does the rest. I have LastPass generate 8-character, 100% random combinations of letters and numbers, and use that for everything. On the browser, LastPass automatically detects the URL that I'm going to and fills in the username/password, so I never have to type them by hand, or even click a button to auto-fill.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Don't you guys worry that an online site that stores all your passwords might be hacked????
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Don't you guys worry that an online site that stores all your passwords might be hacked????
    I use RoboForm. As with all of these password utilities you have to / should use encryption.

Foster Center, RI

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I don't worry I just forget mine and have to re up every time I try to do something.

Veteran Member

I use this - keeps track of hundreds of passwords. Once you go to the site that needs a password you put in ONE PASSWORD ( the same one ) and the computer selects the appropriate password for that site which is different. So I have one password for hundreds of passwords

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

I use Norton virus scan safe, identity safe log in.. I log in to Norton then it will log in to what ever I log into.. if wish for it to do so.. I keep all my pass words "login" in a hard copy and plus a micro soft file.. been doing this for several years.. so far so good.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I keep mine on two separate memo pads. I keep one in my wallet and the other one in my Wife's office.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    LastPass encrypts all of your passwords, and only your key will decrypt it. Therefore, even if LastPass is hacked, the hacker gets nothing but random garbage. Even LastPass themselves can't get at your data without your password. You have to trust that LastPass is not messing up by, for example, unintentionally keeping decrypted copies of the stuff in buffers or temp files; and you have to trust that LastPass isn't just out-and-out lying, but I'm willing to grant them that until proven otherwise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast