Mom's Wood Pile Stolen...

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Earlier this year I took down a monterey pine and one oak behind Mom's house... she is 78 and has lived in her home close to 50 years.

I cut the rounds to fireplace size even though the Bay Area seems to have burn bans whenever you would want/need a fire.

Over the last few months, Mom split the wood and stacked it a little at a time... she enjoyed it and only did as much as she was comfortable doing at any one time... had it all stacked thinking she would be in good shape winter after next and was quite proud she was still able to do it!

Last night she called and said the entire stack is gone... sure enough, I found the chain cut and tire tracks though her backyard up to the woodpile.

The last couple of years I have seen a lot of things... this has to take the cake.

Mom misses the wood and is even more concerned that someone would come into the yard with her being home all the time...

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #2  
that is just awfull i can't emigine someone stelling her wood i feel so sorry for her. i know she was proud of what she had done i don't know what else to say now i'm mad. ther is just nothing prople won't do these day's

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #3  
Earlier this year I took down a monterey pine and one oak behind Mom's house... she is 78 and has lived in her home close to 50 years.

I cut the rounds to fireplace size even though the Bay Area seems to have burn bans whenever you would want/need a fire.

Over the last few months, Mom split the wood and stacked it a little at a time... she enjoyed it and only did as much as she was comfortable doing at any one time... had it all stacked thinking she would be in good shape winter after next and was quite proud she was still able to do it!

Last night she called and said the entire stack is gone... sure enough, I found the chain cut and tire tracks though her backyard up to the woodpile.

The last couple of years I have seen a lot of things... this has to take the cake.

Mom misses the wood and is even more concerned that someone would come into the yard with her being home all the time...
Call cops. They gotta be good for something. You got tire tracks and jaw marks on cut chain.
larry

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #4  
Call the local news station or paper-good story,and way better chance of catching the thief,People get away with stealing because nobody knows.Think about who knew it was there-probably some neighbor.Stealing from your mom was just lower than low.

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #5  
Sincerely sorry for your Mother. She is emotional and rightly so. That is pretty LOW DOWN. I hope that the thief or thieves are caught. Are you planning on cutting and restocking her supply?

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen...
We really don't use much firewood since all the bans started being enforced...

The two trees had to come down and rather than deal with hauling off the wood... Mom said she wanted to start a little wood pile just in case.

Unfortunately the police will not come out... I called and was told to fill out an online report if I needed it for insurance purposes.

You are right... it had to be someone that knew it was there... folks do come through walking their dogs... thought about a real fence instead of just a chain to keep out vehicles... she doesn't really like the idea of having to fence everything... it would have to most likely be 8' panels of 6' high black metal square tube fencing similar to what you might see around swimming pools to meet neighborhood requirements...

She is the only homeowner with acreage... 99% of the neighbors have 5,000 square foot city lots.

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #7  
Greed has no bounds, pure shameful. No matter if it's an elder person, but wood? What a scum bag.

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #8  
Wow, I cant believe the cops wont come out??

Sure, the monetary value isnt huge, but who knows.....its doubtful this is the thief's first or last time stealing. It may lead to something huge.

And proving it should be pretty easy if they were willing. Aside from the tracks and cut marks on the chain, they could take "tree DNA" or whatever from the stumps left. I would think that wouldn't be too difficult???

So why exactally do you pay property and city taxes???

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen...
Mom pays about $6,000 a year for her home and the remaining 6 acres. The rest of her land is now part of the city park system

As the crow flies I can see Mom's house across the way... about a mile by car. I pay $9,000 for a 1956 1725sf home on one acre and the homeowners are responsible for the roads, drainage, etc...

The chief of Police has publicly said the department doesn't have the resources to respond unless it is serious...

9 months ago I pulled out all the stops to buy my forever home about 15 minutes away in the county... wasn't meant to be.

Taxes are 50% higher in my city vs. the county...

/ Mom's Wood Pile Stolen... #10  
You're in a beautiful area of the country, but so many people have moved there that costs are outta sight. Consider a move to a distant and less popular area. Virginia has beautiful mountains and valleys, friendly people and a lot lower tax rate. My county, Augusta, has just raised property taxes 3 cents to 51 cents per hundred. And firewood around here is so cheap that no one will steal it... I can't even give my excess to the Salvation Army. They have too much.

However, should you be interested in future fire wood out there, there are some things you can soak a few logs in that will give off a stink you won't believe when burned. Only you have to know which logs are loaded.