$136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES???

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Todays local newspaper had an article about how employers are monitoring worker productivity to reduce costs, and one of the employees mentioned in the story was a nurse required to wear a badge around her neck with a tracking device so the hospital could see where she was at all times. Sutter Health, who runs the hospital, says that full-time nurses at it's San Francisco Bay area hospitals earn salaries of ONE HUNDRED THIRTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR ON THE AVERAGE, NOT INCLUDING BENEFITS. (emphasis added here)

Many of them probably work overtime, but for a standard 7 day, 40 hour week, that averages out to $65 an hour....nice income. I worked in skilled trades for 31 years before retiring and was making less than $20 an hour then.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #2  
I've read quite a bit on a certain nursing forum over the last few years as wife was in school and as she became a new rn...from everything I've read that's not out of the realm of possibility, as I've seen posts where some rn's were making 45-55 hr, and then time-and-half for OT.

Like everything else, it's supply and demand. San Fran is a hugely expensive part of the country to live in, hence the higher (crazy to some) wages. Believe me if a hospital could pay $10 an hour, they would.

Try not to freak.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #3  
There are people working in warehouses for ten bucks an hour give or take that are monitored like that. (Slavery has not totally gone away) While 65/hour would seem high, consider what nurses have to do on occasion.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #4  
Also consider that is more like $45-55 (Remember, OT), and that $132k in San Fran is like $18k in Detroit....okay, but you get my point. :D

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #5  
And for anyone interested, I've been a carpenter (and sometimes gc), in GA over the last 15 years, so I'm familiar with that end of the deal as well, as the op mentioned being in the trades. (still haven't figure out if I'm skilled or not :laughing:)

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #6  
I think the local nurses at the Sacred Heart, Eugene hospital also use the tracking devices. I'm not sure of the entire justification, but it does allow verification that the patients are checked when scheduled, and also allows locating a nurse when he or she may be in a patient's room. It may help with liability too. It gives an extra point of data if a patient (or doctor) claims improper care.

Some truckers also have GPS tracking on their rigs. Good to monitor where a delivery is for tracking cargo. It also allows monitoring speed, and perhaps other things.

Utility companies may also be using the GPS trackers.

Might as well implant all children with a GPS tracker when they are born. We'll be there soon enough.

As far as the wages.

Nursing, of course, is a multi-tier job.

RNA's are at the top (Plus Nurse practitioners and Physicians Assistants).
CNA's are at the bottom, and generally get barely minimum wage.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #7  
Wer'e already there. That's not a mosquito bite on the back of your neck. :eek:

(yeah, I'm a little bored :laughing:)

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #8  
Todays local newspaper had an article about how employers are monitoring worker productivity to reduce costs, and one of the employees mentioned in the story was a nurse required to wear a badge around her neck with a tracking device so the hospital could see where she was at all times. Sutter Health, who runs the hospital, says that full-time nurses at it's San Francisco Bay area hospitals earn salaries of ONE HUNDRED THIRTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR ON THE AVERAGE, NOT INCLUDING BENEFITS. (emphasis added here)

Many of them probably work overtime, but for a standard 7 day, 40 hour week, that averages out to $65 an hour....nice income. I worked in skilled trades for 31 years before retiring and was making less than $20 an hour then.

$20/hr x 2,000 hrs = $40K. If that's in say Grand Rapids it would be equal to about $75K in San Francisco Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

The average nurse in Grand Rapids makes $78K http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=279097

Perhaps you should have been a nurse.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #9  
Good stuff newbury. It just goes to show us all, yet again...don't buy into headlines, it takes but a very little effort to do your own detective work.

I don't blame the op for reading and believing...but, if you're going to go beyond that, and post an opinion, then that takes a small amount of homework, if you want to be able to deal with the following comments/opinions.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #10  
I think the local nurses at the Sacred Heart, Eugene hospital also use the tracking devices. I'm not sure of the entire justification, but it does allow verification that the patients are checked when scheduled, and also allows locating a nurse when he or she may be in a patient's room. It may help with liability too. It gives an extra point of data if a patient (or doctor) claims improper care.

Some truckers also have GPS tracking on their rigs. Good to monitor where a delivery is for tracking cargo. It also allows monitoring speed, and perhaps other things.

Utility companies may also be using the GPS trackers.

Might as well implant all children with a GPS tracker when they are born. We'll be there soon enough.

As far as the wages.

Nursing, of course, is a multi-tier job.

RNA's are at the top (Plus Nurse practitioners and Physicians Assistants).
CNA's are at the bottom, and generally get barely minimum wage.

Sacred Heart (less) as they call that place will wring every bit of life out of a nurse and every dollar out of your wallet. When they built the new hospital (the locals call it the Taj Mahal) they hired 100 nurses too many and laid them off within three months.

My wife works at the other hospital, McKenzie Willamette in Springfield, OR. Most RNs in Oregon and elsewhere work a 30 to 36 hour shift. Lots of overtime if wanted. My wife works three ten hour shifts. In the Emergency Room. Plus inservise training and advanced classes required for her position. Class fees are not always absorbed by the Hospital. ER Night Nurses average about $65 per hour. To give a little insight she also has a Masters Degree. This is required to teach Nursing at her OTHER job. For her teaching she gets a salary of $48,000 per year.

My wife paid off her student loans (a bunch of money) from her Nursing Batchelors degree and will soon begin paying off her Masters student loan. Nursing requires a Batchelors degree for any position. There are some hospitals that will not hire a CNA. The Veterans Hospitals have the most Masters degreed Nursing positions. In Roseburg, Or., the VA has a lot of dead wood management. One department has two supervisors that manage five people.

To give an idea how difficult it is to become a RN. Each year the local college admits 60 people into the RN course, 38 make it to the end. Average. In two years only about 30 are working as RN's the rest found out it is not for them.