$136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES???

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #61  
Something about the hollering on Sunday morning about a civilized Christian society does not let it's citizens die on the street instead of providing medical treatment. So the tax payer gets stuck with medical bills for the individuals without insurance or no money to pay.

I have no problem with not providing medical coverage to an individual if they do not have the money to pay for it or insurance. Be sure you are comfortable with it before advocating it.

A couple of thoughts...

Just because it's a law that everyone coming through the ER doors must be seen without regard to payment simply means there will be fewer ERs in areas where a large number of patients have no means to pay for treatment received...

Already happening... Hospitals are eliminating trauma services and ERs.

In my community the last ER was scheduled to be closed... there was such a uproar from the community over the last couple of years, lawsuits and politicians advocating for the ER that the large not for profit decided to give the Hospital to the community plus 10 million dollars to buy it's way clear...

Now the community is scrambling on how to fund it and it looks like several proposals from property tax assessment and other surcharges will be on the ballot...

As to a Christian Society...

The nearest Hospital in the next city is St. Rose operated for decades by the Sisters of Charity... the hospital provided excellent care to anyone in need and served the highest numbers of uninsured patients in the region... much higher than those with Not for Profit Business models.

Anyway... California passed a law requiring family planning services be provided to patients and employees... the Sisters asked for a religious exemption and were denied.... some politicians and members of the public were unsympathetic and said the Sisters are not above the law and they could leave if they refused to provide the new mandated services... the sisters decided they could not and left in 2005.

Here's the link... half way down it mentions the sisters leaving... it is silent on why they left...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Hayward-s-ailing-St-Rose-Hospital-gets-county-aid-3414055.php

Now the county is in turmoil... there simply isn't the capacity or money to provide the service the sisters provided to those in need... it's been called a crisis.

My point is people can and do opt out if it becomes too costly or in the case of the sisters violates their very reason to exist...

As to Bay Area Nurses compensation...

Links I think some will find eye opening... $136k annual Sutter Nurse compensation...

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matie...s-for-Sutter-Health-bosses-nurses-2328017.php

Despite Great RN Wages & Benefits; CA Nurse Union Calls Third Strike in Seven Months - CNA Negotiations | CNA Negotiations

Last edited:
   / $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #62  
A couple of thoughts...

Just because it's a law that everyone coming through the ER doors must be seen without regard to payment simply means there will be fewer ERs in areas where a large number of patients have no means to pay for treatment received...

Already happening... Hospitals are eliminating trauma services and ERs.

In my community the last ER was scheduled to be closed... there was such a uproar from the community over the last couple of years, lawsuits and politicians advocating for the ER that the large not for profit decided to give the Hospital to the community plus 10 million dollars to buy it's way clear...

Now the community is scrambling on how to fund it and it looks like several proposals from property tax assessment and other surcharges will be on the ballot...

As to a Christian Society...

The nearest Hospital in the next city is St. Rose operated for decades by the Sisters of Charity... the hospital provided excellent care to anyone in need and served the highest numbers of uninsured patients in the region... much higher than those with Not for Profit Business models.

Anyway... California passed a law requiring family planning services be provided to patients and employees... the Sisters asked for a religious exemption and were denied.... some politicians and members of the public were unsympathetic and said the Sisters are not above the law and they could leave if they refused to provide the new mandated services... the sisters decided they could not and left in 2005.

Here's the link... half way down it mentions the sisters leaving... it is silent on why they left...

Hayward's ailing St. Rose Hospital gets county aid - SFGate

Now the county is in turmoil... there simply isn't the capacity or money to provide the service the sisters provided to those in need... it's been called a crisis.

My point is people can and do opt out if it becomes too costly or in the case of the sisters violates their very reason to exist...

As to Bay Area Nurses compensation...

Links I think some will find eye opening... $136k annual Sutter Nurse compensation...

Healthy paychecks for Sutter Health bosses, nurses - SFGate

Despite Great RN Wages & Benefits; CA Nurse Union Calls Third Strike in Seven Months - CNA Negotiations | CNA Negotiations

So the people will have a choice if put to a vote, pay out the yahoo on property taxes to provide free medical care for "Medical Free Loaders" or say no and require then to either pay cash, obtain health coverage or do without medical treatment and coverage.

I just don't think if I was voting in such an election I would be voting to increase my property taxes.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #63  
I have no idea how the vote will go... the only reason a vote is required is because California Prop 13 requires voter approval for new assessments.

I find it 100% ironic the good works of the sisters with a 50 year track record were forced from California by the legislature and now the same legislature is saying it will cost millions to replace what the sisters were doing in charity...

On occasion, I have had to borrow medical equipment for my Hospital from St. Rose... make no mistake, the sisters were the most efficient and dedicated I have come across... it was not a job, it was their vocation.

Sister Superior looked me right in the eye and said she is holding me personally responsible for the equipment safe return because she released it to me... talk about accountability... no wonder they could do so much with so little.

On the flip side I know Bay Area nurses earning above 200k... they work just about non-stop... all are young, single and dedicated with many working in more than one facility... nursing is a profession where you can actually get hired when you only commit to weekends, nights or even 1 day a week...