Can I power welder with generator?

/ Can I power welder with generator? #1  

winchman

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota 2410 with loaded R4s
Hi Guys,

Can I power a Lincoln 225Amp buzz box welder with a 6000 watt generator? My neighbor has the generator and I have the welder. We need to make the welder portable. The generator has a twist-lock outlet that has this above it 120/240volts. Can I make up an adapter to plug the welder in?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
winchman

/ Can I power welder with generator? #2  
Winchman,
I doubt you'd have much luck with that combination. A 6kw generator is good for about 25 amps. Even if the generator had a high surge starting capacity of say 8kw, your still only looking at a capacity of 33 amps. The welder startup could be as much as 50 amps or more.

/ Can I power welder with generator?
Inspector507,

Yep, I think you are right. I just read some info on the Lincoln Electric site that stated it would not work.

Thanks for the help.
winchman

/ Can I power welder with generator? #4  
I have a 5500 watt continuous generator that I use to run my Century 220v stick welder. I had to rig up a special conversion plug, but it works great. I don't have 220 power at my barn, which is where I do all my welding now. It works perfectly with no hiccups at all.

Combo Unit

The above link will show you one of the many welders on the market that combine a generator with the welding unit. Most are in the 4000 to 6000 continuous watt range.

Disclaimer: My welder is only 180amps and I rarely dial up to maximum power.

/ Can I power welder with generator? #5  
I have a Lincoln 180 amp stick welder, the predecessor to the 225 amp and once tried using it with my 5000 watt generator. The surge on the generator was larger then typical since it was purely for construction uses with a larger engine then needed when compared to other 5000 watt units. It could not even budge the Lincoln into striking an arc. It ould easily run my mig unit however.

/ Can I power welder with generator? #6  
Winchman, I have the exact same setup as you are going to try. I needed this rig since I had to rig up something for the gates I had had stolen. I needed to weld some washers on top of the hangers to slow them down. Here is what I found...

1. I went with a 6011 3/32. When I used an eighth inch I could only get about an inch and a half before the breaker tripped and anything less than 75 amps I couldn't strike an arc.

2. The 3/32 worked ok for about half a rod of constant welding then thru breaker. This was at 90 amps.

3. When I dropped down to 75 and 60 it worked on mild steel with no coating but 60 was a struggle to stay lit.

This setup has worked for light work and has been handy and worth the price of the cord and plugs. The cord was 6ft. of 8ga. wire. You will need to keep it short or go up in wire size. But generators are different and it may not work or damage the guys genny I don't know.

Good luck,
Patrick

/ Can I power welder with generator?
Hi Guys,

We opted not to try the welder\generator combo which I described earlier. Not being confident that the set-up would work, I was too cheap to buy the plugs and cord to try it. We used a smaller MIG unit that we could plug in direct. I think it was a Millermatic 130xp. It worked better than I thought and got good penetration. Thanks for sharing your experience.

winchman

/ Can I power welder with generator? #8  
Poorboy and _Rat_,
I am baffled as to why this setup works so well for me, but not so well for you. I can plug my stick welder into my 5500 watt generator and weld all day. I typically dial-up about 120 amps on my welder, but have used more. Never had the slightest hesitation on the part of the generator or welder.

/ Can I power welder with generator? #9  
Your comment suprised me too! Thats great that yours works. Perhaps your generator is well underated or has a very good starting current capability.

/ Can I power welder with generator? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Perhaps your generator is well underated or has a very good starting current capability.
)</font>

Good point. My generator is rated for 5500 continuous and 8500 surge. Generac sells many models, and some have what they call a 'powersurge' alternator. Their basic models without this feature are rated for only 1000 watts beyond normal capacity. I dismissed it as a marketing gimic. Maybe, it does make a difference.