Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....."

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....."
You mean like on the eyebrows, ears and from the nose? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

COME ON, COME ON....lets get this thread back on topic....:laughing:

Know what...at about 10 am this morning I got an official looking email from somebody @ssa.gov, asking me to phone them about an issue regarding my 1981 compensation...REALLY !!! They furnished a 1-800 number that did NOT correspond to their location in Chicago...

I Googled the number too, came up with reports of scams using the same 1-800 number, then went back to the email and replied "Nice try, you moron..."

WHICH of you guys here told them to scam me....??? :laughing:

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #33  
Welcome to the geezers club,, By reaching this step of geezerness you have certain secret rights.. You can’t tell anyone,, If anyone reads this and they have not reached geezer-righousness then they may be held back two months on their geezer pension..

One: you don’t have to smile any more unless you chose to.. They will smile at you but after a while they will give up.. then you can smile inside,:mad:,

Two: you don’t have to remember people or family names.. just call them anything,, they will try to correct you the first few times then give up:confused:

Three: you can eat anything you want, anytime you want,, strangers will tell it not good for you but will give up when then realize you don’t know their name and you’re not smiling.:thumbsup:.

Other privileges will be known to you as you move thru the other 38 steps.:shocked:. Lou

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #34  
WHICH of you guys here told them to scam me....??? :laughing:

Good Afternoon William,
No way one geezer would do that to a fellow geezer.....;):D

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #35  
I will take a crack at answering some of your questions based on my experience.

First, my wife and I applied within the SSA window (90 days before turning 62) to insure there would be no delay in receiving our first payments.

You won't get paid for the month you turn 62 -- SS starts the following month and you get your payment for that month in the following month. For example, my birthday is in May and I received my first payment in July. My wife's birthday is in December and she received her first payment in February.

We both filed online but we had to visit the SS office nonetheless.

I served in the Coast Guard from 1965-1969. There was a change in the way SS credits were earned in that interval, and I had to provide a copy of my DD-214 to verify my service during that time.

That issue aside, we still needed to visit the SS office to provide the forms to have federal income taxes withheld from our payments.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I now understand why the first payment seems to be delayed. I'll hafta touch base with my Brother again, but I thought he said he got paid 1st of May following his April 12th Birthday. I might have misunderstood.

Sounds like filing online for you was a waste of time. I think I'll just plan on making an appointment and driving to the SSA Office, it's only an hour away. I too have some DD214s to report that might increase my payment a little. My Brother contacted the SSA Office just to inquire about the procedures involved and they told him he couldn't file until he was within 90 days of his eligibility birthdate.

Thanks again for the response Steve.

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #36  
Well, I am ceertainly no where NEAR as old as JDgreen227! In fact, I don't think I belong in an "Old geezers club"! I do love how deepNdirt's mom phrased things though. Makes perfect sense to me! Older women, now we rule! :D

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #37  
Sounds like filing online for you was a waste of time. I think I'll just plan on making an appointment and driving to the SSA Office, it's only an hour away. I too have some DD214s to report that might increase my payment a little. My Brother contacted the SSA Office just to inquire about the procedures involved and they told him he couldn't file until he was within 90 days of his eligibility birthdate.

Richard,

I didn't mean to imply that filing online was a waste of time for either my wife or me. We didn't have to sit in the office answering a series of questions from the SS staff. After filing online, I received an e-mail from the (regional, national?) SS processing office (in Tampa FL?) saying that they needed a copy of my DD-214. I dropped the copy off and a completed W-4V form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf) for income tax withholding. We could have mailed the withholding forms to our local SS office, but I didn't want to worry about the forms getting lost in the mail. Not much of a hassle.

Steve

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #38  
Richard,

I didn't mean to imply that filing online was a waste of time for either my wife or me. We didn't have to sit in the office answering a series of questions from the SS staff. After filing online, I received an e-mail from the (regional, national?) SS processing office (in Tampa FL?) saying that they needed a copy of my DD-214. I dropped the copy off and a completed W-4V form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf) for income tax withholding. Not much of a hassle.

Steve

And did you have to wait for the 90 day window to do the online filing?? Thanks again Steve.

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #40  
Thanks for the reply Steve. I now understand why the first payment seems to be delayed. I'll hafta touch base with my Brother again, but I thought he said he got paid 1st of May following his April 12th Birthday. I might have misunderstood.

Thanks again for the response Steve.
I see that Steve has answered your questions. Both of you have me thinking about my service time as well. I have to dig out my records to see if my income (such as it was) showed for those years.