Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #21  
I'm surprised Microsoft even supports Outlook Express. I can understand why you use it, I've always like the way it works, but it is prone to blow up on you. I am using Outlook now and frankly after I got used to it I like it better - much more solid. Have to get used to the way you have to look at incoming pictures, but I like it just fine. Usually when I had trouble with OE deleting the inbox.dbx did the trick.

I suppose you are certain you were really talking to Microsoft? Good english spoken?

My wife uses an online game system, I thought I was talking to tech support but it turned out to be a scam. They connected to the computer and when they looked at the array of temp files and folders and declared that she had been hacked I suspected a problem. The guy then said he could fix the problem, but needed to charge me and wanted credit card information. I got off the phone and did a system restore, then a Malwarebytes scan and found her computer had a rootkit virus. Might have been a coincidence.

Last edited:
   / Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #22  
I have over 10,000 messages in my sent file. Is there a fast way to delete those to see if that may help? Ken Sweet

Well I'm a little late but to delete emails in your sent folder just left click on the first email, then scroll down to the last email, hold down the shift key and left click that one. All the messages will be highlighted. Then right click within that highlighted area and select delete. Done.
I normally delete an entire year of emails for example: all of 2010. I love outlook express and use it to this day. It's the reason I still use XP. It is not available in any later version. By the way, it will take a few minutes to delete say 5,000 emails of your 10,000. You were having trouble because express was never designed to hold that many emails. So get rid of them when you exceed 1,000 or so. Express is a pretty stable and reliable form of email. Now..... hope you get your computer fixed!!

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #23  
Well I'm a little late but to delete emails in your sent folder just left click on the first email, then scroll down to the last email, hold down the shift key and left click that one. All the messages will be highlighted. Then right click within that highlighted area

FWIW...
To save scrolling the list you can just highlight the top message...click "edit" (on the tool bar) and click "select all"

Any progress Ken?

There may be still be some options without doing anything drastic...

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem
I'm surprised Microsoft even supports Outlook Express. I can understand why you use it, I've always like the way it works, but it is prone to blow up on you. I am using Outlook now and frankly after I got used to it I like it better - much more solid. Have to get used to the way you have to look at incoming pictures, but I like it just fine. Usually when I had trouble with OE deleting the inbox.dbx did the trick.

I suppose you are certain you were really talking to Microsoft? Good english spoken?

My wife uses an online game system, I thought I was talking to tech support but it turned out to be a scam. They connected to the computer and when they looked at the array of temp files and folders and declared that she had been hacked I suspected a problem. The guy then said he could fix the problem, but needed to charge me and wanted credit card information. I got off the phone and did a system restore, then a Malwarebytes scan and found her computer had a rootkit virus. Might have been a coincidence.

Alan, I hope I am talking with a Microsoft agent. I connected to him at Answer Desk - Microsoft Store online ? Ken Sweet

FWIW...
To save scrolling the list you can just highlight the top message...click "edit" (on the tool bar) and click "select all"

Any progress Ken?

There may be still be some options without doing anything drastic...

When I left it last night, I was trying to start in the safe mode with no progress. I left it like that and sometime overnight it did finally load in safe mode. I am suppose to contact a agent at Answer Desk - Microsoft Store online Monday and see if they can complete the fix? Ken Sweet

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #26  
When I left it last night, I was trying to start in the safe mode with no progress. I left it like that and sometime overnight it did finally load in safe mode. I am suppose to contact a agent at Answer Desk - Microsoft Store online Monday and see if they can complete the fix? Ken Sweet
In 'safe mode' you should be able to get rid of whatever was "updated"..and at least get back to where you were before...and not lose anything...

keep us posted...

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #27  
FWIW...

You are correct..... but I don't think he wanted to delete ALL of the emails.....

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #28  
Since you have got safe mode operational, try doing restore to a couple of days prior to when the problem occurred.

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #29  
Since you have got safe mode operational, try doing restore to a couple of days prior to when the problem occurred.

Very good suggestion if he has the restore point(s)...or "restore" activated...it beats treating the symptoms...:thumbsup:

I keep forgetting about "restore"...I'm a 'NIX' guy and and have not kept up with Windows since Win 2K...

I know this is a dumb question, how do I go about restoring on Windows XP? Ken Sweet