belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?!

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #11  
Until somebody shows up with a Sat phone, the local ham is often the only communication option - typical for many disaster situations even today.

Rgds, D.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?!
and wait till the sat phones don't work. then its skip or point to point!

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #13  
Sat phones aren't immune to weather inteference, and the last time I looked, the data throughput was v. low. They're a step up from relying on cell phones for voice, but aren't bulletproof.

Rgds, D.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #14  
Hardware guys (designers) have to get it right, before it ships.

Software guys (coders)..... "Yeah, well, we can always patch that later". Boot code the obvious exception.

IMO.

Rgds, D.

Ha ha, that's why I like being a programmer! :)

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #15  
I always found it "funny" when a software guy would say "No, it is too hard to add or change that".

Kinda like telling the guy that can bench press 440# that doing 100 is hard. ;)

Rgds, D.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #16  
I always found it "funny" when a software guy would say "No, it is too hard to add or change that".

Kinda like telling the guy that can bench press 440# that doing 100 is hard. ;)

Rgds, D.

Well, there are things that are "hard" to add or change, especially if you want to keep the rest of the product intact while doing so. It's amazing how much you can screw up by just changing one or two lines of code in an app.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #17  
I work in customer support and it amazes me how often support gets blamed for product (hardware and software) defects.. We are to blame because we could not get something working that turns out to be defect.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #18  
I work in customer support and it amazes me how often support gets blamed for product (hardware and software) defects.. We are to blame because we could not get something working that turns out to be defect.

You aren't getting blamed, they are just shooting the messenger. :)

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #19  
I run my routers with MAC address permission. If your MAC is not in the permitted list, you get a prompt wanting a password (which will never work until you are added to the MAC list). I know it is not perfect (MAC list), it keeps casuals snoops from jumping on my network.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #20  
MAC addresses can easily be spoofed, I trust a strong WPA2 network key much more than I do MAC address filtering.

Aaron Z