belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?!

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
as the title states.. i was trying to setup a pc inthe back room for the wife. she needs to preconfigure it before taking to work.

popped in the belkin 54g usb dongle. no driver.. can't go online to get driver.. :)

anyway.. download it on my tablet to a sd card.

install it to the pc. no problem. it sees the belkin fine. .. after restart.. it sees our wireless security enabled network.

i put in the wep.. and nada. belkin don't like it. finally after wasting 15m trying different settings i click the box in the belkin util to allow windows to handle the network.

10 seconds later win screen pops up. i put in the wep.. and poof. i'm on the network.

why are belkin config utils so junky? really?

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #2  
belkin is the Yugo of computer gear, after trying to get it to work "you go" and get something that works.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?!
on the contrary. the 'gear' worked fine.

it was their software configuration utility that bit the crank. windows configged the usb adapter in 10 seconds.. so the gear was operating fine.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #4  
Hardware guys (designers) have to get it right, before it ships.

Software guys (coders)..... "Yeah, well, we can always patch that later". Boot code the obvious exception.

IMO.

Rgds, D.

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #5  
This is a reason why I NEVER install the connection software for a wireless card on any computer with XP or newer... The built in Windows utility works better and doesn't clutter up the system.

Aaron Z

very true. if the hardware works.. you can always massage the code later. :)

how many times have we bought hardware and had to update the driver or application software immediatly upon usage / instalation. :)

I rememebr buying a high end video car one time. put it in.. nada.. went online. instructions were to use win basic driver and get online and get NEW updated driver from maker. wich DID solve the prob. menas driver shipped with card did NOT work. :)

go figure.. :)

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #7  
One of the problems in the consumer space is time-to-market. You have to get the product into the market during a very narrow time window.

A few years back, I saw a presentation from an RTOS vendor. They had just finished doing some work with Audi and the presenter was talking about the tens of thousands of (software) threads they we dealing with, in that application.

That was just the infotainment system on that Audi.

Thoreau is rolling over in his grave, as I type this.

On the Amateur Radio side, this nonsense is part of why some guys run Linux when building digital communication repeaters. If you follow those discussions, you'll see guys talking about the uptime on their control boxes running into years, without a re-boot.

If you ever have the misfortune of living through an extended SHTF event (Katrina), then you'll be glad that those goofy guys with the porcupine stack of antennas on their trucks march to a different drummer.

Rgds, D.

One of the problems in the consumer space is time-to-market. You have to get the product into the market during a very narrow time window.

A few years back, I saw a presentation from an RTOS vendor. They had just finished doing some work with Audi and the presenter was talking about the tens of thousands of (software) threads they we dealing with, in that application.

That was just the infotainment system on that Audi.

Thoreau is rolling over in his grave, as I type this.

On the Amateur Radio side, this nonsense is part of why some guys run Linux when building digital communication repeaters. If you follow those discussions, you'll see guys talking about the uptime on their control boxes running into years, without a re-boot.

If you ever have the misfortune of living through an extended SHTF event (Katrina), then you'll be glad that those goofy guys with the porcupine stack of antennas on their trucks march to a different drummer.

Rgds, D.

i'm one of those goofy guys.

de ke4rrd :)

73's

/ belkin 54g config can't config to network, windows sees it fine?!?!?!?! #9  
OK, so I was preaching to the choir :D

Rgds, D.

OK, so I was preaching to the choir :D

Rgds, D.

i love communication.

with skip and a good battery and aerial.. hams can communicate.. .. nice feeling..