Advice on a motorhome please

/ Advice on a motorhome please #21  
Looks good Drew. Make sure the basement storage is enough for you. I checked out a 2012 Journey Express and it was a perfect layout but there was very little basement storage, but that might have been the Express layout.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #22  
Nice looking motorhome.
It it does not have new tires. It will need them. Check date. RV tires are good for about 7 years. Wear out from sitting. They will look good. But will have faults in sidewalls from setting. About $700 for each tire.
Check roof for leaks. Big expense to repair.
I did a quick look on NADA for price. Listed price is above the high value of that model. Dealer probably added all the options that came standard on that model.

/ Advice on a motorhome please
Ron,
thanks. I checked RV trader and the price is clearly high, way too high. Average price was under 100K so where they get their ask is a mystery.
I check prices, but save that for last. Drew

btw, I'd get new tires after five years unless I absolutely knew this thing was garage kept. Even then, I like new tires, either Goodyear or Michelin.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #24  
I see so many thread on the RV forums where buyer paid the listed price for a RV that was way over priced and had all kinds of problems. Enjoy the tire kicking trip today.

ron, thanks. Having been an "old" boat buyer at one time, I'm used to "caveat emptor". Luckily many of the systems are the same between boats and rv's.
The price listed for this used rv must be jacked up because in order to sell the guy a new one they gave him a strong trade in. Their problem, not mine. Between NADA, thanks for the link, and RVTrader, I'm not going to overspend.

I see a "similar thread" listed below, off to read that one.

Check out Michelin's prices if you buy them through FMCA.
http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/michelin-prices.pdf

My 22.5 tires are $100 less than usual retail, clearly worth the $50 membership fee.

hey, that will buy a couple tanks of diesel for sure. thanks.

the other thread was old but helpful. I think it's time for me to get on RV.net and poke around there.

We bought our 1981 Bertram motoryacht used for 170K and sold it thirteen years later for 135K. I wish a used motorhome would hold its value like that.
Of course what was spent on that boat over those thirteen years is an amount I actually tracked on my bill paying software.
Let's just say my budget for a final home is less than what I spent on that boat....ahem. Included twenty grand alone for rebuilding one of the two diesels.
No way am I doing that again, not in retirement on a fixed income. Seems kind of wasteful now but boy did we make some memories with that boat, including taking it to Florida
and over to the Bahamas, just the two of us. And I'd like to make some more memories like that, but a boat is way too physically demanding for me now. Though I did keep my 16 foot Scout. I never had kids, or grandkids, or...., so my wife and I were able to enjoy an expensive hobby. No more. But if we go from rv campground to campground, it's the same as paying slip fees for a boat. Just have to be sensible, keep the speed down, and find some quiet places to stay, like anchoring out. But not in a Walmart parking lot if I can help it.

wonder how I can pull a small car and my favorite little boat...

/ Advice on a motorhome please #28  

No problem, I just wouldn't go over the Rockies or through a tunnel with it. :D
RV trailer.jpg
Double Deck Trailers | The Built Rite Trailer | by Sport Trailers, Inc.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #29  

In many states, it's legal to pull a double. I don't see them real often, but ever once in awhile I see a motor home pulling a car or pickup with a boat or a golf cart trailer behind that. Of course, one problem with that is that if you have a tire go flat on what you're towing, you probably will not know it until some serious damage is done.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #30  
hey, that will buy a couple tanks of diesel for sure. thanks.
[/I]

Just found out if you go to the FMCA website and if you join on line and use the promo code BOGO50 you will receive two years for the price of one. This is for first time members only.

Good luck