Advice on a motorhome please

/ Advice on a motorhome please #61  
Congrats, that's a beauty. Hope the deal works out and it's what you're happy with!
Wish my wife shared your wife's enthusiasm about motorhomes......:laughing:

/ Advice on a motorhome please
well, all's well that ends well, and I guess I've just not ended my search yet.
Didn't fall in love with the coach today, too many wear issues, tired awnings, dash a/c not working, rattles, it just felt old to me.
Drove nicely, though I thought the steering was pretty vague and the ride very floaty. maybe it needed new shocks, who knows. It needed a lot of things, and when the back tv would not come on and the satellite dish could not be tested because the receiver was outdated and not hooked up, well that plus all the stuff before with slides not working, it was time to say no thank you.

The coach was slow. Seriously slow. Fully floored, it would keep up with slow moving stoplight traffic. But thereafter I felt myself trying to push the accelerator through the floor, as the speed slowly grew. And lastly, after running for more than two hours, the temp in the bedroom was only down to
78 degrees. Not low enough for us.

Good learning experience, now I stick with 2008 and newer, and a lot less miles.
Even if I have to go gas to get the floorplan I want for the budget, I learned today I wanted a newer rig.
Not new new, but the one somebody took their bucket list trip around the US, like I want to do, and once done, have it up for sale
with eleven thousand miles on it. Just have to keep looking.

We went over this coach from top to bottom, my buddy crawled underneath and took lots of pics of the underneath and confirmed no leaks or road damage. The blowby tube on the Cat was pretty gucky, and about a square foot of oil pan nearby was covered in black oily dirt that had built up over time. Probably normal but we looked all over, kind of interested to see the pics now, even if not getting this one

Stay tuned....

/ Advice on a motorhome please #63  
Big coaches usually feel 'floaty' and vague.. Some chassis are better than others. Again, iRV2.com will fill you in.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #64  
A buddy of mine resurrected a class A with a Cummins over the last year. It's a lot of work, and if you can afford to avoid it, much nicer with a newer unit.

I've gotta say though, I was prettied impressed how smart the engine controller was. The cooling system was baffed, needed a rad - it probably leaked a bit, but the big problem was that it was so plugged up that it was pretty useless as a heat exchanger. The engine controller de-fueled enough to protect the engine - it felt slow enough on hills that kids on bikes likely would have passed it. Once the cooling system was brought back to spec (new rad, not a trivial job to change), engine power was back to reasonable on the road.

Digital technology being used to protect an expensive engine - great application of tech, IMO.

Happy hunting, I'm sure you'll find a good fit soon enough.

Rgds, D.

Big coaches usually feel 'floaty' and vague

well it sure did, had to be driven with fingertips only to avoid overcorrection, yet seemed to take a million turns in a tight spot.
I really felt like I should have had a cap on and be speaking into a mike to forty people behind me...

I enjoy driving and hanging on to the giant wheel while we rumbled, rattled and bobbed along just plain felt awkward.
Am up way too early this morning rethinking all this...I guess I really need to drive one of the new MB minis.
And to now check all bases, we are going to a big Airstream dealer nearby and will look at the classic trailers there also, since we have a new Suburban to tow it.

This coach isn't the right one for us, frankly, we can't afford what my wife wants, which is a new 300k coach, which in three years will be worth only half that. That's crazy cost of ownership. $50K a year in depreciation? But since there are always folks who can afford that, happily I hope, then
it helps buyers like myself who need to wait awhile until the price comes down.

There was no question the Spartan chassis was first class. I do think the shocks were tired, but after eight years and almost sixty thousand miles, I would expect them to be.

I'm sending the salesman a nice check to thank him for his time. He really did work, and sweat hard, for me. I've been in his shoes so feel he should get some token of appreciation.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #66  
That's a very classy thing to do daugen - that will be one surprised salesman.

Good karma - that will help you find the right one ! :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #67  
That's a very classy thing to do daugen - that will be one surprised salesman.

Good karma - that will help you find the right one ! :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

Agreed. That is a very nice thing to do.

While an RV is not for us, this and the travel trailer thread, have been very educational. Keep posting about The Continuing RV Hunting Adventure. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Advice on a motorhome please #68  
Daugen there is a 36' (300 cummings I think)coach w/67K miles on it here for sale for $51K. My wife owns a real estate company and these folks just listed, so I was out taking photographs. They are basically selling everything and moving to the coast of SC to be closer to family. I have no other details on it but it appears to be in excellent shape. If you are interested PM me and I will forward their number to you.

/ Advice on a motorhome please #69  
Im biased a bit on Motor homes, Try looking at an Alegro by Tiffin Motor homes. They have a smaller pusher. Im not sure of the name but its in the 30 foot range. Ive been aboard them at the company picnic. All the newer ones are Cummins powered since Cat dropped otr engines a few years ago unless you want a front engined one.

what I've found most interesting are the 30-32 foot hybrid Class A's that
have all the right stuff, and a much smaller road presence. Well smaller than the 42 I drove for sure.
Ford V10's which seem to have a good reputation.
Now a small upgrade with a Gale Banks blower and I bet there would not be a power issue.

I know this might sound strange, but I found it really disconcerting to drive the big diesel pusher when I couldn't hear the engine
rev. I didn't know what gear it was in at any particular time, and I'm used to driving by ear also.
Now sitting on the engine like these gas A's has got to be a little noise, and no doubt I'll be able to hear what's going on
without question. But if it isn't quiet at cruise, not going to be good.

Local dealer doesn't have any of the new models so of course is showing me whatever is on his lot, including a 36 when I asked him
for a 30. Pretty sure I'm headed to the Airstream dealer soon.