Can't Delete Virus

/ Can't Delete Virus #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Can\'t Delete Virus

Help ! Norton antivirus has indentified a file as a IRC type Trojan Horse. Norton can't quarantine or delete. I can't delete the file either. How can I unlock this file so I can get rid of it?

See attached image.

I need 'DELETE' extra strength !

Attachments

• 311369-Error.jpg
    311369-Error.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 165
   / Can't Delete Virus #2  
Re: Can\'t Delete Virus

There are 2 "main" anti virus programs available to the general public.
Norton is one of them and McAfee is the other.
The problem with Norton is it tries to do things with your software programs in order to provide protection.
Not a good thing.
Mike

/ Can't Delete Virus #3  

Ok...
From the image on your attachment it looks like a printer driver problem.
ReInstall your drivers for your printer from yor printer installation disc,
Of course you will have to uninstall it first.
Mike

/ Can't Delete Virus #4  

I use a free program, AVG, that is available here:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

It's done a good job so far without a hassle. I've tried Norton and McAffee and didn't like the way either worked on my computer. Whatever you use, you need to be sure you have the latest data files for your program.

Have you tried changing the file attributes? It may be marked read-only, etc.

Good luck with it.

/ Can't Delete Virus #5  

It's hard to say just from the information you've given but I do have a suggestion. I had something similar happen to me. If you go to the Symantec web site under support, there is a place where you can submit your problem for resolution. I did that and they were very responsive.

/ Can't Delete Virus #6  

Apparently, your OS is NT, Windows 2000 or ?

First, go to the Windows upgrade website and find any info you can on this "virus". Hopefully, there will be explicit directions on how to delete it. You may want to print out any instructions, especially if you have to reboot or go into your system registry.

This also might work:

Do a CONTROL-ALT-DELETE and shut down all programs except Explorer and Systray. Since the suspect file is also named Explorer, that may seem to be a problem. However, if you shut down Windows Explorer, the shut down menu will pop up. Obviously, that's not the Explorer application you want to shut down. If there is another Explorer (maybe called explorer.exe) shut it down. Once shut down, you should be able to delete it then.

Or:

Do you know how to start you computer in SAFE mode? If so, try that first. SAFE mode only executes certain applications required to run the computer. Once in SAFE mode, you may be able to delete the suspect file (as it won't be in use)

Those are two potential fixes. I'm very surprised Norton can't quarantine the file. However, if the file is in use, you cannot normally delete them until they're shut down.

/ Can't Delete Virus

Thanks to all that responded. Starting in Safe Mode did the trick. The file may have looked like a printer driver but it was a virus hiding and masquerading in that folder. Also, the use of explorer in the name was designed to confuse as well. I've deleted the file, now I need to backup and check the registry and win.ini. An application is still being called for at boot-up even though it is gone.

/ Can't Delete Virus #8  

"I've deleted the file, now I need to backup and check the registry and win.ini"

I'm glad one of those suggestions worked...

Does your NT based OS use "msconfig"? (type "msconfig" (no quotes) in your RUN window). That opens several of the editable files used to start Windows. I strongly suggest you not delete any lines refering to the (virus) file until you try adding a REM before the line (if you end up needing the line of code, you may not remember the syntax). Adding REM before the line causes Windows to ignore it. You can always go back later and delete the line(s) of offending code at a later date.

Or, you can "save as" the offending files as [filename].OLD and edit the original file. You can always go back then.

Reckon the important thing is not to make any permanent changes until you're absolutely sure you need them. Or, back them up in such a way you can undo any changes in case there are unfortunate results.

I've had viruses that resulted in my formatting the hard drive. Was not a real big deal...in fact, I format every so often to clean out the garbage that accumulates on every hard drive as time goes by.

/ Can't Delete Virus #9  

Norton can detect, repair/delete infected files. It usually can't rid your computer of the virus code. Very often this is accomplished by a "fix virus tool" supplied by Norton - like Fixblast.exe for the Blaster virus or Fixwelch.exe for the welchia virus.

/ Can't Delete Virus

Paul, Norton (Symantec) recognizes the virus I encountered, but they do not have a removal tool for it. I have used several of their removal tools in the past. They left me hanging with this one.