Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #32  
I have never noticed the spongy pedal with DOT 5.

Well, that's why I wrote spongy in quotes. My pedal just didn't feel right. It was a dual master cylinder with one going to the front brakes and one going to the back. I've done the setup before and the only thing different was the DOT5, so...?

Last edited:
   / Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #33  
Well, that's why I wrote spongy in quotes. My pedal just didn't feel right. It was a dual master cylinder with one going to the front brakes and onr going to the back. I've done the setup before and the only thing different was the DOT5, so...?

Was it a brand new master cylinder ?

Rgds, D.

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #34  
Was it a brand new master cylinder ?

Rgds, D.

Yes...actually two of them since a tandem unit. Wilwood to Wilwood discs on all four wheels.

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #35  
Did you change to DOT 3 and the spongyness go away?

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #36  
Did you change to DOT 3 and the spongyness go away?

Always kept it as DOT5 since I didn't want to mix fluids. Did exact same thing on last car with DOT4 and things are fine.

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #37  
Thinking contamination.... retro fluid, but that's obvs. not the issue. Assuming flex lines are new too.

I've never used 5, seen reference to bleeding being "different", but don't know the details.

Not so much gearheads, but I can see the general public getting into real messes with 5 vs. 5.1 :shocked:

I really wish they'd have set up that numbering differently (ie. made the pure silicone = DOT6).

Rgds, D.

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #38  
Being out of gear or clutch depressed, delayed use of E brake, etc sounds like the operator was new to driving old trucks.

As others have mentioned in any parade I have been in or seen that included old tractors NO truck would have been out of 1st gear ever. If the engine had any compression left and the clutch was good then the clutch could have served as a brake. There is more than one on this site that has driven old trucks without brakes OK. Missing a gear would be a big no no for sure.

I agree the steep route compounded what every failures/mistakes that occurred. It was a bad day for all and especially the kids that will carry the vision of that day the rest of their lives.

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine
Spongy pedal is probably air in the brake system, doesn't really matter which type of brake fluid.

I use Dot 5 in my 2.5 ton Army surplus truck because that's what it came with. I don't think you need to bleed it differently, but there is a sequence you must follow based on the brake design. First bleed the air-over-hydraulic brake booster, then start start bleeding at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder. Miss bleeding the booster first and you risk leaving air in the system.

I don't think the general public will mistakenly use Dot5 much, its rarely sold on the shelf anywhere and if you check the price tag...well...you'll understand what I mean. Yikes!

/ Terrible Tractor July 4th Parade accident in Maine #40  
Agreed Katahdin, price is a good filter.

Concerning incompatible fluid, I was mostly thinking of the Pavlovian conditioning the tech buying public is exposed to.

You have the latest/greatest consumer product on your belt...... the majority would update software from 5.0 to 5.1 w/o even thinking.

Thanks for the 5.0 bleeding report.

Rgds, D.