Intimidating Drivers

/ Intimidating Drivers #11  
I laugh every time I pass one of those junky road slugs in my BMW 335d, with the mpg gauge at 42mpg.

HS

/ Intimidating Drivers #14  
Yes I've done it manually, both times the manual measurement was higher by about 1mpg, so I use gauge.

HS

/ Intimidating Drivers
Coupled with the perceived political leanings of Prius drivers and their ability to pay $,000s more for a car like the Prius may create a sense of resentment in some people.

Doesn't cost anywhere near a nice, super cab full-size pick up. I bought my Prius well before it became a political statement. I bought it solely for the technical advancements it championed since I am a geek at heart. Looking back now, it was a game changer.

/ Intimidating Drivers #16  
Yes I've done it manually, both times the manual measurement was higher by about 1mpg, so I use gauge.

HS

Wondering - is this ALL highway mileage? The reason I ask, there is a neat website called fuelly.com, and I use it to compare what people claim their MPG is.

BMW 335d MPG Reports | Fuelly

People with the same make and model across the US log their fuel stops and mileage using this website. Your make and model seems to average in the 32 MPG range. I am not calling you out...just curious why your mileage varies from the mean average.

/ Intimidating Drivers #17  
I think almost everyone over estimates their own gas mileage. That's just one reason I actually keep spreadsheets and know exactly what kind of mileage I get. If you only calculate the mileage from one tankful now and then, you're almost sure to be way off.

/ Intimidating Drivers #18  
Well, don't take this the wrong way and I'm guessing from your story that you are not one of these.... but, in general..... most other drivers are annoyed at Prius drivers. Why? Because they are too slow. Get out of the way. I have to get to that next stop light in a hurry! :laughing:

As for small man in a big truck syndrome.... I see the same thing with big man in a big truck syndrome as well and just as often.
Now if you want to see real attitude, start a discussion about man with chip on his shoulder and concealed carry syndrome.... that and gear VS hydro! :D

/ Intimidating Drivers #19  
I think almost everyone over estimates their own gas mileage. That's just one reason I actually keep spreadsheets and know exactly what kind of mileage I get. If you only calculate the mileage from one tankful now and then, you're almost sure to be way off.

Good example is our 2000 Impala. It gets an honest 29mpg average on the highway while driving highway speeds over distances greater than a hundred miles or more. In town, its lucky to get 18 average in summer. In winter, its closer to 14 because I let it warm up for 5-10 minutes when its below 20. 10 minute warm-up + 10 minute five mile drive = really bad gas mileage when averaged stricktly on "how many miles I drove divided by how much gas I put in the tank". A better method to me is "how much gas did I use to drive X miles" and how much gas did I waste warming up, side trips, stuck in traffic, etc...

/ Intimidating Drivers #20  
http://cf.cdn.vid.ly/y0r5c2/mp4.mp4

Sometimes people just think they are buying high tech. Prius is marketing success. I average 38 in mixed driving and can exceed 42 if i can find the will power to stay down below 62mph. Remember now this car has 425 foot pounds of torque, (think F250 with power stroke diesel) and will go to 60 in 5.3 (think mustang GT). If up at speed think Porsche 911gts. This is where all the gas technology is flowing from, the high pressure diesels, been around for about 15 years now, just getting into American gas cars.

HS