Intimidating Drivers

/ Intimidating Drivers #221  
You must have missed ULSD. Its pretty close to the Eur IV standard (>10PPM of sulfur or something vs the old standard of > 500PPM of sulfur).

Aaron Z

Ultra low sulfur has helped with the perceived emissions but I am talking about the hard to meet emission requirements and the SCAR rating of the fuel. Our diesel here is not a good as Europe so it can ruin the high pressure pumps. Point I was trying to make was that we have prohibitive emissions regs and fuel quality problems to solve before we can get the high mileage diesels that other countries are enjoying. The regs don't take into account the higher mileage (more miles per gallon of fuel), they only take into account the emissions per gallon.

From Bosch - Why Diesel Fuel Injectors Fail - Diesel Power Magazine

Excess Wear
One mode of injector failure is excess wear. Prior to 2006, diesel fuels in the United States contained relatively large amounts of sulfur. This sulfur is found in the crude oil that gets refined into diesel fuel. The sulfur in the fuel was used as a natural lubricant for the fuel system. Ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) was gradually introduced into the United States because sulfur ruins diesel particulate filters (DPFs). Ultra-low-sulfur diesel is now mandated in all diesel fuel segments, including on-highway, off-highway, and railroad. Ultra-low-sulfur diesel has a maximum allowable sulfur content of 15 parts per million (ppm). As refiners removed this sulfur, the lubrication benefits went away as well. As a result, diesel fuel refineries now put additives in the fuel to restore lubricity.

The standard for measuring this lubricity is called the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) Test, ASTM D-6079, which measures the size of a wear scar between two metal surfaces lubricated with the fuel. The less lubrication the fuel provides, the larger the wear scar. The maximum allowable wear scar in the United States is 520 microns (460 microns in Canada). Many fuel distributors add additional lubricity improvers to the fuel to limit premature wear.

/ Intimidating Drivers #222  
Diesel additives or 5% biodiesel as an additive solves that issue. Not really a problem.

HS

/ Intimidating Drivers #223  
Ultra low sulfur has helped with the perceived emissions but I am talking about the hard to meet emission requirements and the SCAR rating of the fuel. Our diesel here is not a good as Europe so it can ruin the high pressure pumps. Point I was trying to make was that we have prohibitive emissions regs and fuel quality problems to solve before we can get the high mileage diesels that other countries are enjoying. The regs don't take into account the higher mileage (more miles per gallon of fuel), they only take into account the emissions per gallon.
In what way is it not as good? Our specs are 15PPM Sulfur and 520micron scar. Theirs (Euro V) are 10PPM Sulfer and 460 micron scar. Add in 5% bio and we are probbaly closer.
The comparison was valid with LSD when we allowed 500PPM of sulfer, but not now with ULSD.
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_low_sulphur_diesel#United_States said:
The allowable sulfur content for ULSD (15 ppm) is much lower than the previous U.S. on-highway standard for low sulfur diesel (LSD, 500 ppm) which allows advanced emission control systems to be fitted that would otherwise be poisoned by these compounds. These systems can greatly reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter.
Because this grade of fuel is comparable to European grades, European engines will no longer have to be redesigned to cope with higher sulfur content in the U.S. These engines may use advanced emissions control systems which would otherwise be damaged by sulfur. Thus the ULSD standard is increasing the availability of diesel-fueled passenger cars in the U.S. In Europe, diesel-engined automobiles have been much more popular with buyers than has been the case in the U.S.

Aaron Z

/ Intimidating Drivers #224  
I don't see issue with fuel.

/ Intimidating Drivers #225  
According to the Internet news today, the bad folks drive blue BMW's: Yahoo! :laughing:

Nothing wrong with blue BMW's my wife has a nice 535 turbo! I haven't had a Prius tailgate me yet when I drive it. On second thought they are not in the rear view but for a flash.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Intimidating Drivers #226  
Diesel additives or 5% biodiesel as an additive solves that issue. Not really a problem.

HS

How does diesel additives or 5% diesel solve the problem of our government not allowing some the higher mileage diesel vehicles to be imported into this country? The oil companies don't want high mileage vehicles and lobby hard against it. Our laws and fuel quality make it impossible to with current technology.