2014 Vacation Suggestions

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Karen and I are starting to think about next year and what we want to do. We are thinking of either an African photo safari or going back to Europe. Eastern and Northern Europe both interest us. Taking the train from place to place seems like a great way to see a lot of the countryside. Has anybody done this? Have you ever stayed at a Hostel? Where should we look for finding a room for the night?

Who has been on a photo safari? We will be going to the SCI Dallas convention in January to talk to outfitters and tour guides in person, but we're wanting to do some research beforehand. So far, all I'm finding is the absurdly expensive tours that cost 8 to ten grand per person plus air. Where did you go and who did you use?

Thanks,
Eddie

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #2  
I've only seen a small corner of Scandinavia but would go again. We were driving.

If you are looking at train travel, they have these types of offers: Eurail Scandinavian Pass, or the Europe-wide Eurail passes.

If you make some reservations at Bed and Breakfast type places along your itinerary, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, meet nice people, learn more about the locals, etc. With internet advertising and reviews, email, cheap international phone rates and VISA accepted all over, it really isn't difficult to book your own things from home for a Northern Europe trip.

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #3  
I would like to do another trip with Betty Sederquist. We went on one of her Alaska photo trips. She also does Ecuador and Africa. She lives here, but spent years in Alaska as photo-journalist. My wife and I have taken her outdoor photog classes. She is an excellent instructor. She also surrounds herself with great crews on her trips that are extremely knowledgeable in photography and the locals that they are traveling in.
Betty Sederquist

This is the trip we went on. My wife went on a different Alaska trip two years before. That is me n the kayak; that photo made the 2002 Daeger kayak catalog...
Dolphin Charters Trip 2001

Yes, trips like this are not cheap...

Also, are you ready with equipment? Photo trips like this you are looking at DSLR with a complement of lenses, not a point and shoot. I shoot Nikon, but Canon is popular too. In addition to camera body, looking at a good flash(in addition to flash on camera body), low power, intermediate and long lens. I mostly use 24-120, 80-200/2.8. But a 300mm or longer would be nice. Nikon and Canon both make nice 500mm, but they are $8k... If two are taking pictures, you'll want two bodies... And you'll want a mono-pod and a tripod.

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #4  
For photo safari information go read what Thom Hogan has to say on his website, Travel | byThom | Thom Hogan. He has just done a major transformation of his old website to the new one, which is the site in the link. The link is NOT showing safaris I know he has had this year and that he is planning for in the future. Here is a link to an African safari that he just finished, http://www.bythom.com/2013BOTS.PDF

Expected and Typical Cost
$7895 11 to 14-person land cost
$1050 park fees (subject to change)
$420 internal airfare
$1299 photo workshop fee (photo students only)
$10,664 Total due to Wilderness Travel
$350 Tips and gratuities
$100 incidentals (liquor, sodas, laundry at Livingstone, etc.)
$250 trip insurance (may be more depending upon what you insure)
$11,364 Total cost of trip from our meeting spot and back

That price does not include the cameras, lenses, and required equipment. Even if one rented the type of equipment needed for such a trip, the cost of of the gear would add thousands to the trip. On the other hand, that safari went into places in Africa that danged few people have ever seen.

The first link has information on equipment and other photo tours.

This company rents out camera equipment, LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more and I can only afford to rent the cheapest of lenses. :laughing: The lenses required for such a photo safari cost over $5,000 to almost $10,000 to buy new. Renting ONE of the lenses one would need on such a trip is over $800 for two weeks. One would need to own or rent a 5-6 more lenses AND need at least two camera bodies.

I don't pay to go on a photo safari. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I can't afford the safari much less the equipment and I have a great camera and lenses. However, the super telephoto lenses, which in turn require expensive tripods and tripod heads, is more than I can afford. One can find interesting things to photograph anywhere, it just takes an eye to see/find the things to photograph. On the other hand, if one wants to get photos of lions, rhinos, and elephants in their natural environment, you gots to go to Africa and it is going to cost some big dollars.

Later,
Dan

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #5  
   / 2014 Vacation Suggestions #6  
I have rented lenses; split it with another person on the trip. Worked out well. But that was a week long trip, not two weeks.

The trip to Alaska 12 years ago, a couple on that trip had Canon equipment(still film in 2001). They had 500 AND 600mm lenses. Both had thier own backpacks and very sturdy tripods. Those were $7k and $10k lenses back then.

Have a friend a work; he does wildlife photography as hobby. He picked up a D800 body; $$$. And, he uses a 500mm Nikon tele. $8k. Not to mention a bunch of other lenses.

For an Africa "once in a lifetime" trip, I could see $10-15k+ in camera equipment easily. For one person. A D800 body, Flash, 240-120VR, 80-200/2.8-AFS/VR, 300mm VR at a minimum. I would get a second less expensive, but full frame DSLR, since you will want to have a long lens mounted and a short lens. Like the trip with my wife, I could see some pooling of camera body and lenses.

And, this is not to mention a few outdoor and wildlife photo classes/seminars before the trip.

This company rents out camera equipment, LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more and I can only afford to rent the cheapest of lenses. :laughing: The lenses required for such a photo safari cost over $5,000 to almost $10,000 to buy new. Renting ONE of the lenses one would need on such a trip is over $800 for two weeks. One would need to own or rent a 5-6 more lenses AND need at least two camera bodies.

I don't pay to go on a photo safari. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I can't afford the safari much less the equipment and I have a great camera and lenses. However, the super telephoto lenses, which in turn require expensive tripods and tripod heads, is more than I can afford.

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #7  
Glass is expensive, and so are all the other things you typically overlook. Perhaps an RV rental up the alcan highway, would be more fun..?
I n the pass, I have found it more enjoyable to work my own time and itinerary while on vacation, I get better shots, enjoy myself more with my family, do more of what we want to do, and spend less much doing it.

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #8  
Glass is expensive, and so are all the other things you typically overlook. Perhaps an RV rental up the alcan highway, would be more fun..?
I n the pass, I have found it more enjoyable to work my own time and itinerary while on vacation, I get better shots, enjoy myself more with my family, do more of what we want to do, and spend less much doing it.

That would be fun. There are only two deadlines, the day you leave, and the day you have to be back. :)

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #9  
I have rented lenses; split it with another person on the trip. Worked out well. But that was a week long trip, not two weeks.

The trip to Alaska 12 years ago, a couple on that trip had Canon equipment(still film in 2001). They had 500 AND 600mm lenses. Both had thier own backpacks and very sturdy tripods. Those were $7k and $10k lenses back then.

Have a friend a work; he does wildlife photography as hobby. He picked up a D800 body; $$$. And, he uses a 500mm Nikon tele. $8k. Not to mention a bunch of other lenses.

For an Africa "once in a lifetime" trip, I could see $10-15k+ in camera equipment easily. For one person. A D800 body, Flash, 240-120VR, 80-200/2.8-AFS/VR, 300mm VR at a minimum. I would get a second less expensive, but full frame DSLR, since you will want to have a long lens mounted and a short lens. Like the trip with my wife, I could see some pooling of camera body and lenses.

And, this is not to mention a few outdoor and wildlife photo classes/seminars before the trip.

I was shocked at the the price of the trip I linked previously. I read the PDF file when Hogan announced the trip and it sure sounded interesting but then I read the price! :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I figured I would have to buy or rent about $20,000 worth of gear to go on that trip. :eek: I traded up to a D800 a year or so ago and I have a 70-200mm/F2.8 VRII lens I bought previously. Those two pieces of equipment are flat out magical compared to the equipment I had in the mid 80s. Anyway, to go on a trip like this I would need another D800, plus my other lenses which cover the non super telephoto ranges. I have been renting a 300mm/F4.0 lens, which even with a TC 1.4 teleconverter, is a very sharp lens. However, for a safari you would need at least the 500mm or 600mm lens if not both. One might want to take a 200-400mm/F4 lens instead of the 500mm.

The problem with the 400mm, 500mm, and 600mm lenses is that they are heavy and require another $1,000 worth of tripod and tripod head. I am not even going to discuss the $18k 800mm lens. :laughing:

I have been very tempted to rent the 200-400mm lens, especially after we went to FLA earlier this summer. I found a place where Pelicans where feeding a took quite a few shots. The 300mmF4 with the TC 1.4 worked very well and is light enough to hand hold, though after 2-3 hours, my arms were starting to fall off. :D At times, I was wishing for a zoom lens and the 200-400/F4 would have been perfect. I was trying to get photos of the MULTIPLE Pelicans dive bombing the fish but I was never able to quite get what I wanted even though I spent 4-6 hours over two days trying. The 200-400mm/F4 lens would have been helpful but it would likely have required a tripod to hold the camera/lens for a couple of hours. I was trying to get an image like below but with more than one bird.

FSC_3470_1.jpg

We are planning to return to the same place next year so I will try again. :laughing: I am not a newby in taking photos including fast moving sports but I still had to adjust what I was doing to get these photos of the Pelicans. The first day, 2-3 hours, where pretty much a bust because my shutter speed was not fast enough. The first day, I had configured the camera to get me a shutter speed around 1200-1600 of a second but it was not quite fast enough. I really needed 2,000 of a second.

These to images were at 1,600 of a second.

FSC_2905_1.jpg

I could not quite get more than one bird with just its beak going into the water....

FSC_2906_2.jpg

Anyway, a vacation is not the time to figure out to use your gear, especially on a once in a lifetime trip. The Pelican photos took every bit of function from my camera gear, while pushing my photographic experience/knowledge, and technique. It sure was fun. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I need another trip to the same place to try to replicate a Pelican and sunrise photo I took in the 80's and to try to get multiple bird beaks in the water at the same time. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ 2014 Vacation Suggestions #10  
The couple on the Alaska trip with the 500 and 600mm lenses, called the 600mm "JR" :D ; they actually named the lens. Both lenses had their own special backpacks, and industrial tripods.

Nice action shots on the pelicans.

Our Alaska trip was at the end of the film era; we took 3600 frames of slides. With bracketing, some shots had three pictures. If focus and exposure were not perfect, all of them went. We threw away 100's and 100's of shots. We had done plenty of photo work before, but catching shots of humpbacks in full or partial breach was challenging. But, we got some great shots of humpbacks breaching and bubble-feeding, Orca's, Grizzly bear at Pack Creek, etc.

The problem with the 400mm, 500mm, and 600mm lenses is that they are heavy and require another $1,000 worth of tripod and tripod head. I am not even going to discuss the $18k 800mm lens. :laughing:

I have been very tempted to rent the 200-400mm lens, especially after we went to FLA earlier this summer. I found a place where Pelicans where feeding a took quite a few shots. The 300mmF4 with the TC 1.4 worked very well and is light enough to hand hold, though after 2-3 hours, my arms were starting to fall off. :D At times, I was wishing for a zoom lens and the 200-400/F4 would have been perfect. I was trying to get photos of the MULTIPLE Pelicans dive bombing the fish but I was never able to quite get what I wanted even though I spent 4-6 hours over two days trying. The 200-400mm/F4 lens would have been helpful but it would likely have required a tripod to hold the camera/lens for a couple of hours. I was trying to get an image like below but with more than one bird.

View attachment 335022

Anyway, a vacation is not the time to figure out to use your gear, especially on a once in a lifetime trip. The Pelican photos took every bit of function from my camera gear, while pushing my photographic experience/knowledge, and technique. It sure was fun. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I need another trip to the same place to try to replicate a Pelican and sunrise photo I took in the 80's and to try to get multiple bird beaks in the water at the same time. :D:D:D