2003 Ford Ranger CEL

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL #21  
paulharvey said:
Can yiu link the actual physical scanner/hook up for the phone app. I have seen app, but never the matching scanner. I currently have 4 vehicles, all with CEL on. Mostly bs like emissions or antilock brakes, but would be nice to scan on occasion to make sure no mew codes. Also what years is OBD2, I've goot 02 dodge, 03 toyo, 05 chevy, amd 08 chevy.

Don't personally have it but look it up based on your device and check compatibility. Heard they are not too bad nice for checking potential new to you vehicles too.

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL #22  
I had a 03 Ranger with the check engine light constantly on . Had it read and turned out to be a bad O 2 sensor . I recently solved the problem simply by trading it in for a nice new F-150 XL . Now I 'm tryin ' to relearn how to drive a Big Boy ( for me ) truck .

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL #23  
My 'check engine lite' was annoying so much that I put a strip of electrical tape to hide it.
Fact was I knew that it was ABS related but scans never said which whee and I learned to drive B4 ABS.
In slushy road conditions seems each wheel decides it can't brake so the others are left the task, only problem is all wheels are in slush and nobody brakes.
I have visited the ditch a few times because of that trait.(no damage)

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL #24  
Can yiu link the actual physical scanner/hook up for the phone app. I have seen app, but never the matching scanner. I currently have 4 vehicles, all with CEL on. Mostly bs like emissions or antilock brakes, but would be nice to scan on occasion to make sure no mew codes. Also what years is OBD2, I've goot 02 dodge, 03 toyo, 05 chevy, amd 08 chevy.

Well, im quoting my self.... but I bought a scanner for $9.00 on Amazon. Scanned codes in allfour vehicles, 2003 toyota had 3 emissions codes, 2008 impala had 1 emission code, and 2002 Dodge dakota had a miss firing #1 cylinder, an emissions code, and a transmission governor solenoid code. 2005 chevy 2500hd didnt show any codes, and didnt show or clear Air bag light. Its worth the $9 to know there's nothing wrong... not going to fix emissions crap, and kinda tells a tale about EPA stuff when you have 3 out of 4 vehicles, all fairly new kicking out emissions codes.

Scanner is a Yongtek ELM327 with Bluetooth connection. Took longer trying to turn Bluetooth on in phone than to actually use.

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL
Here is some follow-up. Truck started idling rough and cutting off while idling. I just did not have the time to work on it while my daughter had it home from college so I took it to my local mechanic.

The codes thrown indicated random misfires and bad O2 sensor. Mechanic changed PCV valve and now all is well, no codes, idles and drives fine. That was several weeks ago. Cheap fix. Had nothing to do with codes. CEL remains off. Maybe he just unplugged it............which suits me fine. I'm still a firm believer that CEL lights are primarily check-wallet-lights. Most real problems will manifest themselves with real symptoms.

/ 2003 Ford Ranger CEL #26  
I still have the dead remains of my 1985 Ranger 4 cyl. It was the first year for EFI. The check engine light on it was a simple timer that monitored key on hours, the light would come on at about 50,000 miles at which time you were supposed to replace or clean the EGR components. To reset the light, you had to remove the glovebox to get to a small box with a reset button. I drove for a couple years before someone gave me a Chilton shop manual that had all the information on that truck and I was able to reset the timer. Diagnostic code readers for it used flashing light codes to determine problems and that truck had a lot of them. It did get 32 mpg for several years.