Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks??

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Last Friday I picked up a used, new to me Heartland 3010TT Cyclone my wife bought as a semi "surprise". I have never used a "real TT and will be headed out to Colorado next week for an Elk hunting (sleeping) trip:laughing:

This will be a trail by fire, and I believe the term will be "boondocking"? I have concerns about Cold temps and the water tanks not sure if I should dry camp. The weather right now, says mostly above freezing, but I have seen it at 15* there this time of year.

The TT, does have an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 genset, but it doesn't run well as I type, due to the previous owner and a poor filler hose design. I have a new carburetor , fuel filter, fuel pump I will install today and "cross my fingers". Oh also changed the oil and filter and replaced with Mobile 1

Any wisdom, thoughts tips, or tricks you can pass along, would be greatly appreciated

Photo of my new "toy":D

Cyclone.JPG

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #2  
Will your furnace run off the 12v battery? Will your onan genny keep battery charged up? Where is your fresh water tank? For my camper its under the sink and I would keep the cabinet doors open while you are sleeping and away to have heat keeping water tank from freezing. You really should not see any ice in tanks or toilet as its a newer camper and temps above 30 night only is NOT enough to freeze water provided you keep heat on.

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #3  
"Camp in it" it before the trip, electric, water, plumbing, heat etc. Nothing worse then being away from tools and stores and finding you need something. Tow it locally before the trip, city and highway traffic, again nothing potentially as life threatening as being committed to a 2,000 mile trip with an unsafe tow vehicle or trailer. Doing this will give the opportunity to repair things or change plans. Good hunting and safe travels!

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #4  
Check the manufacture dates on the tires. If more than 5 years, you are in the caution range. If more than 7 years replace them, especially if they are "China Bombs".

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #5  
Looks like a pretty nice "tent" for elk camp. :)

I don't have any advice or tips on the trailer, but I sure would love to hear about the hunt and see some pics when you get back!!!

Eddie

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #6  
   / Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #7  
Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks??

Block your trailer wheels before you unhitch.

When unhitching, don't concentrate on the hitch, jack, and tire block, then forget to detach the wires and breakaway cable before driving away.

Before leaving, walk around your campsite in two directions to find things you forgot to load.

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #8  
I have a 3010 hd 5th wheel. Wife and I bookdocked for 10 days in sept '11 in Colorado. Few things.

How long is the trip?
How many people?

We packed in and stayed by ourselves and were self sufficient. We had showers everyday. Very very quick though. We carried 20 gallons of drinking water and our trailer has 30+19 gallons of fuel. We brought and extra 20 gallons too. Took our rhino all over the alpine loop. I bought a cheap 800w harbor freight Genny to run the lights and charge batteries. We took our winegard carryout sat dish and could run lights, charge batts and watch tv off the little generator. Used about .25 gallons an hour. Worked awesome but sounds like a wound up weedeater. Used the big onan in the morning for the space heaters. Trailer furnace will use a bunch of propane. Could go thru both tanks in a matter of days. We just bundled up at night and slept great. It got down to freezing every night. Was 45-50 in camper when waking up. Used the onan for coffee maker and space heaters. Sometimes the water would be frozen. Drinking water in jugs was always fine though. Around mid morning it'll thaw. Keep an extra gallon to refill the toilet if taking a dump. On showers, you have to be quick. We have 100 gallon tank and it lasted but we were very water conscious. If the Genny has been sitting a while once you get it going with your new parts make sure it'll carry a full load. Turn on the water heater and a/c's if you can to load it. Sitting unused is the worst thing you can do to them. We have close to 400 hrs on ours and don't use it much. Enjoy the trip. Colorado is beautiful. Also, on the carb, there is an altitude adjustment. Be sure to adjust that when you get to elevation

Brett

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks?? #9  
Check the air pressures in the tires, including spare. Most trailer tires are only to run up to 65mph so watch your speed. Heat is the enemy on tires, under inflation and speed can destroy tires fast. Take the time to set up your trailer brakes properly (adjust if needed and setup brake controller for your trailer).

/ Those with a Travel trailer, got any tips/tricks??
Thanks for all the reply's and good ideas tips!!

I drive 28'-40' trailers for work to jobs, so backing and getting around isn't an issue. Dealer put on new tires, old ones had about 500 miles on them, but where 08 model tires.

Got the genset running and man are Onan's nice! I think I will buy a Mr Buddie heater for supplement heat. Closest town is about 25 miles, which isn't to far if I need gas.
Going to take it slow this time out, GMC 3500 pulled it great the 70 miles home.

Elk season "rumors" I have been getting, are excellent, so I cant wait to get up in the mountains. Loved living there for a spell

I'm going by myself again this year it looks like so will take what I need i-case I end up roughing it.. Usually have a tent, or stay at friends houses, so this will be a blast!