Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
Hey gang, I have been following the thread on the shop air install and the other day I happened to come home from work and my compressor was running full bore! I quickly found out that my retractable air hose had blown and my compressor was pumping away like crazy. I try and remember to shut it off, and to also turn the ball valve that energizes the lines, but I have forgot on occasion.
So, I am now wondering if any of you have rigged up a relay of the lighting circuit and introduced an solenoid on the air line? This would be a great fool proof system to make sure the system is kept off when not in the garage. Are there any systems that I can purchase? I have been searching and found ways to do it, but if there is a system that would be much easier.
Thanks and any thoughts are appreciated!
Dave

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #2  
I have 2 5 HP compressors. one is controlled with X10 relay module the other is controller using Elk security system relay. I kill the power anytime the house/shop security system is set.. Or can manually start/stop them through the Elk panel or with iphone through Elk system. I am considering a colvoller valve in the air lines. So far valves cost too much and in some cases open too fast. I just don't like the machines running maybe a couple of day when we are out of town. Once programed Elk does it for me

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #3  
When I am done using compressed air for the day I shut off the manual ball valve and turn power off to the compressor, Simple and cheap.

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #4  
I usally flip the breaker from inside the house.

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system
I have the ball valve too. I also turn off the power at the compressor. The problem is that when you do forget (I bet we all do forget sometimes) and you end up with your expensive compressor ready to run into the ground if it blows when your not home.
The electric part is easy, and the air I was thinking something along the lines of this
3/4" Brass Electric Solenoid Valve 110-VAC Normally Closed water, air, diesel...: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Good point on opening too fast wirenut.
You would think someone would make a ready to go solution. What do mechanic shops and other shop do? Do they do it all manually?
Dave

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #6  
The electric valve is nice but you still have to turn it of.. You could tie it to a low pressure set below the cut in pressure but then if your using your compressor hard it will shut off.. I think your out of luck,, Most plants that only run one shift have someone responsible to turn off the power,,

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system
Hr3, I was thinking of tying it all to a relay that works of the shop light circuit. My concept is that when you turn on the lights it give power to the compressor and activates the solenoid that energizes the shop air lines.
It is such a relatively simple thing that I thought there would be a ready made solution. Now I know why I am not finding anything in my searches. Oh well.
Thanks for all the replies gang, I appreciate the input.
Dave

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #8  
Dave, I think the reason you didn't find what you were looking for is that the standard device to protect against excess air flow is a pneumatic fuse. Here is a link to a PDF file from Norgren. Normal air flow through this valve does nothing, but a burst in a line will let flow instantaneously increase and seat the checkvalve. Putting one of these inline near your compressor could solve your problem.

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #9  
My compressor has a magnetic starter, I plan to run a remote switch next to my light switch. And use a half switch/red light combo switch.
I used to shut off just the valve, untill the neighbors dog got in the garage and knocked a creaper against the pop off safety valve.

Dave

/ Advice on Shop Air Automatic cutoff system #10  
Hr3, I was thinking of tying it all to a relay that works of the shop light circuit. My concept is that when you turn on the lights it give power to the compressor and activates the solenoid that energizes the shop air lines.
It is such a relatively simple thing that I thought there would be a ready made solution. Now I know why I am not finding anything in my searches. Oh well.
Thanks for all the replies gang, I appreciate the input.
Dave

I sortta used your idea. I bought a 50 amp relay that is activated by the shop lights. When I turn on the lights there is power to the compressor. When lights are off, power to compressor is off. I did not protect the shop air system. If I blow a hose or line while not there it will simply drain my tank, compressor will not come on. Might be cheaper to use your idea??? Can't remember what I paid for the electrical relay.

The reason I didn't go for manually turning off the compressor each time is that it's in the back corner of my shop in the bathroom. Exit door is 50 feet away. Then we get to the real reason,,,,, I'd forget..... :)