Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
Over a year ago I'd mentioned to the guy who found my Deere for me that I'd like a skid steer loader. Well, upon further reflection and the passage of time I'd pretty much forgotten all about it as it really wasn't going to be all that practical for a couple reasons.

Unfortunately, I never mentioned my change of heart to this guy and, you guessed it, now he calls me and tell me he has a Bobcat for me. This guy has got to be one of the world's best scrounger/wheeler-dealers I've ever known so I'm sure it's probably a good one.

It's a Bobcat 963, I believe (if I'm wrong then it's a Bobcat 973). He told me. I just don't remember and didn't write it down. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Anyhow, is anyone familiar with these models and have an opinion on them? You know what I mean. Reliability, frequency of repair, maintenance, quirks, things to watch on the particular model, etc. Any thoughts? One 'plus' is that a friend of mine who works for the local Cat distributor tells me all of the attachments interchange pretty readily and that he can "borrow" whatever SSL attachments from the rental side that I might ever want to use. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't necessarily need a SSL, but I wouldn't mind having one if the price was right. This guy sure treated me right on my little Deere, sooo... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #2  
Wow! The 900 series are big, powerful machines. I did a google search for bobcat 963, and came up with 105 HP, 3000# lift and over 10' lift height. A quick look at Ebay showed no 900 series machines, but several 800 series in the $11K to $15K range. Bobcat seems to be the industry leader in skidsteers, so I don't think you'd have any problems with reliability, service, etc. If I could afford one, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One 'plus' is that a friend of mine who works for the local Cat distributor tells me all of the attachments interchange pretty readily and that he can "borrow" whatever SSL attachments from the rental side that I might ever want to use. )</font>

Gary,

I can't answer any of your specific questions about the machine, but if you're just looking for some positive encouragement, I'll be glad to help! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I would think that just having the ability to "borrow" any SSL attachment would be enough incentive to get it. If you need a little more convincing, then find out how many different attachments are available. Then find out what it would cost to rent each attachment to do a job. Then sit down and figure how many times you've wished you had the power broom, or the PHD, or the 4-n-1 bucket, etc. on your Deere.

Is that enough for you?

Go get the machine!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #4  
The 900 Series SSL's are the lifting workhorse of their product lineup. I have an 873 and one reason I chose it over the 900 Series, because if I remember correctly, some attachments won't work with it (although I can't remember which ones), or it requires a larger attachment unit then most rental places would have.

The 963 is a monster -- and unless you absolutely need such a large machine -- I would consider a smaller Bobcat if you are still considering buying one.

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #5  
My friend has a 943 (older) and it has a different hitch size than the 963, I don't know which one the 973 has but check it.
The hitch is a little different and u have to put adapter plates on the newer attachments.
The 943 is a lower lift capacity then the other put he can load 5000# logs in a dump truck.
They are kind of hard to see out of on the sides and behind.
My buddy also has a Bobcat 914 hoe on his, 14' digging depth.

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader
Re: Bobcat 963 skid steer loader

I was able to call my local Bobcat store today but none of the salesmen were in. The gal who was there was able to give me quite a bit of information, though. She confirmed that there is no 973 so what this is must be a 963. She said that she believed that almost all of the Bobcat attachments would, in fact, connect to the 963 though different, larger ones were built for the 963 (and the rest of the larger 900 series) simply because of the greater size and capacity.

I would liken it to a 48" tiller hooking up to and working with my tractor even though the 60" is recommended. As with my tractor, some of the attachments may not cover the 963's tracks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

She indicated she wasn't exactly sure what, if anything, would absolutely not work with the 963 but said she thought there were a couple things. One thing she mentioned as something they never sold with the 963 was the fork sets for the smaller loaders just because of the chance of overloading them.

I'm going to be out in that direction tomorrow so I may stop there and see if they can find me a listing of just exactly what will and won't fit and why. I'll also try to get a look at the 963 itself to see what I can see on it.

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #7  

Bobcat 963

More info HERE

Even more HERE

Attachments

• 322890-Bobcat 963.jpg
    322890-Bobcat 963.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,050
   / Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #8  

Not much info on the Bobcat site on the 963C, produced 97-99
More info on the 963G on their site

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader

I spoke with the owner of the Bobcat dealership today. Apparently the info I got about an adapter for the 963 was incorrect. It is, for lack of a better term, somewhat of an orphan so far as implements go. Virtually all of the implements commonly available to rent (or, more importantly in my case, to 'borrow') for SSL's are not compatible with this machine.

I'm sure glad Dave mentioned that to me or I probably would already own the 963. It's a big brute of a SSL but hardly anything I really need. Besides, with the Goldwing I just bought I think I may have reached the limit for toy expenditures for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Bobcat 963/973 skid steer loader #10  

Then best keep an eye out for a smaller model that has more options available /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif