Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
I had some time to kill the other day, so wrote a web page about basic security while running on the Internet.

Maybe it will be of some use to someone, or, more likely, maybe someone will have some suggestions to correct errors, etc.

If anyone is interested.....

http://www.flare.net/users/rft/security/

Best,
Bob

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #2  
Stop using IE will get rid of most of the internet security problems. Getting rid of windows will get rid of almost all of them.

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Stop using IE will get rid of most of the internet security problems. Getting rid of windows will get rid of almost all of them. )</font>

Couldn't agree with you more. It worked for me.

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Stop using IE will get rid of most of the internet security problems. Getting rid of windows will get rid of almost all of them. )</font>

Ah, yes.. in an ideal world.. but we live in a world which is predominated by windows users. Any clutter they cause on the net is there for all of us to deal with.. like network slowdowns caused by all the spam/worms lately.

Microsoft has abysmal track record for security, but I'm not sure how many people could configure a Linux system properly so it would be secure. Note that I'm not saying they couldn't, I'm just saying I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was asking for feedback about the page I threw together.. does anyone feel this might be helpful to anyone they know? My only goal was to help out my computer-clueless family, but then people started telling me it was helpful to them. So I'm not sure if it's any good or not.. or if it would benefit a significant number of people.

Best............Bob

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #5  
I enjoyed your site Trev. I have been to the Gibson Research site before and use SpyBot S&D.
Been thinking about leaving my Windows junk and getting an Apple G5. Main reason would be reliability.
Any advice you could share is appreciated.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words...

My only experience with Apple was an old iMac and OS/X. It was a joy! Reliable, rock-solid operating system with a very nice front-end on it.. I had no complaints. That is, until we moved to the country and all we could get was crummy DirecPC satellite service.. and they required software which was only available for Windows. Otherwise, I'd still be on my Mac.

You pay a bit more for the hardware, but I think you get what you pay for. Real wizards can probably configure a Linux box to be as reliable and pleasant for less money, but for us commoners I love the Macs!

Best.........Bob

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #7  
Our first computer was an Apple IIe that we bought back in 1978. Then we bought an Apple IIgs,Apple LC, and LC3. Pack rats that we are we still have those dinosaurs and to be honest occasionally play with them.
We were on AOL many years ago with both the IIe and the GS back when AOL was charging $4.95 per hour to be online with them. Living rural we also had to add $5.94 per hour long distance fee. I remember having a phone bill of $286 one month in the early 1980's. AOL stopped supporting the low end Apple stuff so we drifted to IBM. Been through Windows 3.1,95,98,ME,2000, and XP Pro. All have had their issues with security being the biggest.
From what I have seen online Mac OS9 and OS 10 are unix based. A good thing.
Almost went to DirectWay.
We are fortunate now to have DSL in the country. Our ISP runs their router wide open so we get about 650 on the average but have run as high as 1440 on the line. Have thought about setting it up to run "out of the pipe" for more speed but think we are doing good enough.
Mike

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #8  
If I got rid of windows, the computer would be completely worthless, since I don't have any use for graphics or music software. Unfortunately business applications are written for windows.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I got rid of windows, the computer would be completely worthless, since I don't have any use for graphics or music software. Unfortunately business applications are written for windows. )</font>

Alan,

You might be surprised by some of the "Office" clones that have come out. If you are serious about wanting to change platforms, I'll bet you could find most if not all of what you need on Linux or Mac.

I don't know if you really want to switch.. if so let us know and I'm sure we can give you some leads toward some of this.. sorry I don't have them handy.

Best,
Bob

/ Basic Internet Security.. looking for feedback #10  
I still prefer DOS - My primary programs are WorkPerfect, Quattro Pro, and R:Base - all DOS. I only use Windows when forced to, which is in many instances now (Internet, for example).

I use Netscape for my email and have never had a worm, virus, etc. However, I use IE for browsing, as Netscape is much slower (always "loading JAVA") and seems to hang at alot of sites.