Question for computer experts

/ Question for computer experts #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Is there anyway to lock a spreadsheet in Excel to ensure that if you open it up in Apple's Numbers program, it won't unlock the spread sheet?

Seems that the only protection in Numbers is password protection to open the document, and nothing to lock the cells (to protect and hide the formulas).

I have both Numbers on my iPad and Desktop, but use a Microsoft laptop and desktop for work at the office and in the field. I've also noticed that once opened in Numbers as an Excel spread sheet, when sent back to the Microsoft computer in Excel, the spread sheet stays unlocked.

This is bugging the living heck out of me.

Sincere thanks!

/ Question for computer experts #2  
You can lock each cell, range of cells, each sheet and or the entire notebook.

Will it stay locked when opening it in the apple program - I have no clue.

To lock cells - highlight the range of cells, right click and choose lock cell. Then up in the ribbon - turn on Protection. Then save. It will ask you to enter a password.

Close program, reopen and check. It's finicky and many times I have thought I had the protection set.

If you need more help - I can go set in front of the computer and help you.

/ Question for computer experts
Will it stay locked when opening it in the apple program - I have no clue.

No matter what password or security setting I can find (other than a password needed to actually open the document, and actually I haven't tried that yet, so I could be incorrect there as well), the Excel spread sheet will NOT keep it's security settings per locking the cells when opened in Numbers. That is the issue.

You send me a protected Excel spreadsheet hiding your formulas and locking your cells, and I can bypass that security. That's what I find somewhat unnerving.

/ Question for computer experts #4  
It sounds like you only want to view the spreadsheet on an Apple, correct? Why not take a screen shot of the spreadsheet and send it to the Apple as a jpg or save as a pdf.

It sounds like you only want to view the spreadsheet on an Apple, correct? Why not take a screen shot of the spreadsheet and send it to the Apple as a jpg or save as a pdf.

I've created some working excel spread sheets for contractors who use iPads in the field, which can also be used on their desktops in the office.

Numbers as far as I know, is the only program on the iPad that will enable you to view and operate a Excel spread sheet (or am I incorrect in that assumption?) Most contractors won't have a Mac desktop, and Excel is more widely accepted than Numbers.

I actually came across this issue some time ago as my own company only uses Excel, and when I opened a Excel spread sheet, I "ruined" the sheet and couldn't figure out how. The reason is I unknowingly unlocked the formula and put in information where it wasn't supposed to go.

I'm begining to see why I should push guys to buy Samsung over Apple:laughing:

/ Question for computer experts #6  
Video: Convert numeric values to text - Office.com

I think the solution for you is to convert numeric values from formulas to text. i.e. the result of a calculation would be shown as a simple number and not as a formula.
I have not done this in Excel but used to do it in Lotus 123.
The above link will show you how to do this.
Dave M7040

Video: Convert numeric values to text - Office.com

I think the solution for you is to convert numeric values from formulas to text. i.e. the result of a calculation would be shown as a simple number and not as a formula.
I have not done this in Excel but used to do it in Lotus 123.
The above link will show you how to do this.
Dave M7040

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the speed sheet is left unlocked, couldn't the cells still be changed by the end user?

I'll give it a shot later tonight.

Thanks for the information.