camping

/ camping #11  
P/U with a shell, chaise lounge, mattress, good sleeping bag not down, porta poti, koolatron and a small stove for cooking and your good to go. Might even think about a proper type heater.:thumbsup:

Keeps you off the ground, good weather protection, and amenities are a positive for the older folks.

/ camping #12  
I love the outdoors. Most happy outdoors. But there are two things I really like about a house: the bed and the toilet. I can get by okay without the toilet but do not sleep well on pads, inflatables or cots.

But here is a little secret that makes sleeping in a tent a little better: Ambien.

/ camping #13  
yes. this would be setting up next to the vehicle. i guess another alternative is to get a cap for the pickup and put a mattress in the bed ;-). and then get a good sleeping bag. not sure i'm going to be making this trip but trying to think it through. i'm not a big fan of hotels. i would be travelling from va to ca with no timetable and probably taking a southern route to keep warm. i'm divorcing and if i can't keep the farm i want to leave this area. one of my sons lives in oakland. no family around here.

Getting a cap for the PU bed is a good idea. I car camped for a while back in the 90s and having to setup/take down the tent in the rain was a PITA. When I was a kid, my dad had a full size Cherokee's that we could setup to sleep in. He did a great job with the design and build. We could setup the Jeep for sleeping in 15-30 minutes and if we needed to, we could just hop in the Jeep and drive if the weather was bad. I really missed that setup in the 90's. I thought about getting a bed cap but I was not doing enough car camping to justify the money.

There are PU bed tents out there but I think the cap would be a better buy.

Today, I would go with foam mattresses of some kind but my dad and I used air mattresses and we were comfortable. OTH, we had some friends that slept on the floor of a station wagon once and they froze. The air mattresses might not have the best insulation but a strip of carpet on metal is worse. For a PU bed, I would look at some of the rigid foam to put down under the mattress if you were going to be out in the cold. I slept a few nights with the weather in the 20-30s on a self inflating air mattress. It was only an inch or so thick but it worked. Not real comfy for the back but I was warm. Another problem with air mattresses is you tend to roll of the danged things.

With a bed cap, rigid insulation, and a foam mattress, you can handle some cold temperatures. In the morning, you can unzip the bag to air it out, and just get in the truck and drive. One thing I wanted to do when I was in college was to head west for a summer. I wanted to trade in the car for a PU and just drive around out west seeing the sights. I got to busy with life and never made the trip. Now, I will have to be retired to do what I wanted to do when I was 20. :rolleyes:

The setup my dad made was pretty slick. He had made three boxes that fit into the cargo area. One box went from one side of the Jeep to the other. The other two boxes were half the size of the big box. The two boxes sat between the tail gate and the big box. The big box was between the two little boxes and the second row seats. The lid on the big box opened UP and it contained things alike a heater, lantern, towing chain, axe, shovel, etc. The two little boxes had lids that opened down. The two little boxes had shelves for food, Coleman fuel, a Colman stove, pans, silverware, etc. We could just open the lids to the little boxes to access the contents. The lids acted like a little table. Worked great.

The second row seat we would fold down and put in a short saw horse. A fitted piece of plywood would sit over the three boxes and we would slide the plywood so that it would rest on the saw horse and the edge of the long box. My dad cut the threads and head off of four long bolts which fitted into holes in the plywood, saw horse and long box. The pins would keep the plywood from moving around and they were flush with the surface so they would not snag the mattresses. Really a great design we used for years.

If you are going to be camping out of the truck of a length of time a similar setup could be helpful.

Later,
Dan

/ camping #14  
I use an Exped 7 insulated air mattress. Have set up on snow a couple of times and had no problems with cold. The Exped 9 is even better insulated. I tend to sleep on my side and have always had issues with pressure points on foam or self-inflating Thermarest pads. Not so with the Exped.

/ camping #15  
i would be travelling from va to ca with no timetable and probably taking a southern route to keep warm. i'm divorcing and if i can't keep the farm i want to leave this area. one of my sons lives in oakland. no family around here.

What part of Oakland does he live in? Montclair and the hills are nice, but the vast majority of the city is a **** hole that is best avoided 24/7.

Crime rate in Oakland, California (CA): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics

If you are not familiar with the Bay Area, be very cautious and do not trust anybody there. EVER!!!!!

Eddie

/ camping #16  
I'm not young anymore, but I still camp out on the ground occasionally with the scouts. I take a sleeping pad, thin one if backpacking, maybe 1" thick if car camping. I have different sleeping bags, depending on the temps and if backpacking. I use a piece of tyvek as a ground cloth. it's noisy until it gets broken in, then it is great, very light and durable. If it's just one night and cool, I don't even use a tent, just groundcloth, pad, sleeping bag. I use a tent mainly to keep the bugs off in summer. For one night, I can sleep about anywhere.
For family camping, I used to use an air mattress, but too much work for one night. course, last year I broke down and got a camper, but we will still do some tent camping.

/ camping #17  
been a long time since i camped in a tent and sleeping bag. my question is can a 63 year old guy be comfortable sleeping on an air mattress in a sleeping bag in a tent? last time i did this i was in my late 30's without an air mattress. i couldn't do that now.

My inlaws tent camped with us until they were 75. My wife wants to take her father camping with us next summer and he is 87 now. We'll shall see.

We also camp with our friends that are 67 & 69 and they aren't skinny either. My wife and I are early 50's. we enjoy camping.

/ camping
thanks for all the camping tips. right now it looks like i'm going to end up staying on the farm which is what i really wanted. my son (who's 29 going on 17)hasn't had any crime problems living in oakland but he has nothing much worth stealing.

/ camping #19  
thanks for all the camping tips. right now it looks like i'm going to end up staying on the farm which is what i really wanted. my son (who's 29 going on 17)hasn't had any crime problems living in oakland but he has nothing much worth stealing.

That's good news. Tent camping across the country would be an adventure though.

If things change, this is a great time of year to pick up a used, small pull-type camper. You get a bed, cooking facilities, toilet and bathing facilities, heat, etc. A rainy, chilly day or night in a pickup with a cap, is not fun. Some of the additional costs would be offset by being able to do your own cooking and a lot less camping equipment to buy. The additional comfort would be worth something.

/ camping
That's good news. Tent camping across the country would be an adventure though.

If things change, this is a great time of year to pick up a used, small pull-type camper. You get a bed, cooking facilities, toilet and bathing facilities, heat, etc. A rainy, chilly day or night in a pickup with a cap, is not fun. Some of the additional costs would be offset by being able to do your own cooking and a lot less camping equipment to buy. The additional comfort would be worth something.
i was thinking of doing this and may still do it to use when i want to travel but also to be used as housing for an intern on my farm.