Craigslist scam?

/ Craigslist scam? #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Tonight I received a voicemail to the Google Voice phone number I use for Craigslist. The caller wanted to buy an item I had listed some time ago, I actually thought the add would have expired by now. He stated he wanted to pay cash and could pick the item up immediately. Sounds good right?

Well, upon a little investigation the number he called from is a LA California number and is listed as belonging to a law firm, which has a web site and seems legit. The number he asked me to call back on is a Pasadena CA number. It seems odd that some one 2,300 miles away wants to buy something like my old lawnmower. Don't they have those in CA?

I've heard of scams where they send you bogus checks and things like that but paying cash puzzles me.

What do you all think of this? Scam or not? I haven't called back yet, don't know if I will.

/ Craigslist scam? #3  
How about agreeing to meet him at the local police/sherriff's office with the item at a time of your convenience?

Good luck, keep us informed.

/ Craigslist scam? #4  
Are the CA phone numbers cells? We have a cell phone number that looks like any other Maine phone number unless you check the three digit exchange. (All of Maine is one area code.) If it is a cell phone number, they could be calling from across street and you wouldn't know.

/ Craigslist scam?
Are the CA phone numbers cells?

The one he called from is the business line for the law firm. I called it back before I listened to the voicemail and a very nice lady answered the phone and said with out a name there was no way of knowing who had called me.

There is a way phone numbers can be cloned so that a different number shows on caller ID than the one he called from.

As for the one he asked to be called back on I have no way of knowing what type of number it is unless I pay $2.99 for the "full report". Didn't reverse look up used to be free? Seems like we used to use anywho .com and it was free.

Last edited:
   / Craigslist scam? #6  
What was the number?

Pretty sure its a scam though..

/ Craigslist scam? #8  
Maybe he wants to rob you when he delivers the cash??? I'd meet him up the street, have a few friends with me and carry a gun.

/ Craigslist scam?
What was the number? Pretty sure its a scam though..

I don't think I'll post that, just incase he is legit.

The number he "called from" was (213) 896-xxxx and the number he requested to be called back on was (626) 817-xxxx.

/ Craigslist scam?
Maybe he wants to rob you when he delivers the cash??? I'd meet him up the street, have a few friends with me and carry a gun.

Haha. Maybe. I always carry.