Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #41  
Re: Golfgar4 Back from New England

And we even got Wally to take a picture of Jenny and I together by the ST45.

As we were driving out of the dealership, Wally whistled at us and came running up to the van. He gave us 2 hats and thanked us for stopping in! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And we didn't even buy anything!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 334482-J&G by a ST45.jpg
    334482-J&G by a ST45.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 80
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #42  

We went back to the motel after that, and started heading west the next day. The really only other thing that we did was to stop at the Football Hall of Fame for one afternoon. I'd been trying to get there for quite a long time, so I finally made it.

Attachments

• 334488-Hall of Fame.jpg
    334488-Hall of Fame.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 77
   / Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #43  

All in all, it was one of the finest vacations Jenny and I have ever experienced. We saw beautiful scenery, historic places, played a little golf ( /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), and just had a wonderful time to relax and rejuvenate.

But, without question, the absolute highlights were meeting Bob Ancar in New York and the whole gang (Pete, Dave, Derek, Al and Ed - and their wives!) in Vermont. what gracious people, and what fun we had.

Thanks again, all of you great TBNer's! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

Real nice pics Garry highlighting your vacation trip. Did you make it over to L.L. Bean's flagship store over in Freeport? These pics reminded me of our honeymoon as we made this same similar trip throughout the New England states. I hope we can do it again soon.

...Bob

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #45  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did you make it over to L.L. Bean's flagship store over in Freeport? )</font>

No Bob, we didn't make it there, although I wish we would have.

One of the stores that we did make it to was the Vermont Country Store. We've received their catalogs for a long time, and have always enjoyed looking through them. So we planned a stop there.

I must be honest and say that it was pretty much Jenny's idea to go there, and I was just going to tag along.

Boy, did I enjoy that! It was what I remember stores to be like when I was a kid. I found things there that I hadn't seen in years. I've been telling Jenny for years that I was always looking for some of those big old red bandana's my grandfather always seemed to be using. Well, they had them there! Got myself a few of them too! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And the old fashioned candy! WOW. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My father-in-law is always complaining that he can't get Beeman's gum anymore, or the penny candies that he remembered. Well, they had a 20 pack of the gum, which I bought for him. And they had just about every kind of candy that he had said that he wanted. So we got him a whle bunch that we'll give to him at Christmas.

It was a great store! I think Jenny got tired of hearing how much I enjoyed visiting there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #46  

We've used the catalogs for years and now that we're back in Vermont we haven't got there yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I know what you mean about the candy. My Dad loves licorice, horhounds and Beemans gum. We'd send him a christmas package from Iceland and he would hide the candy from everyone. Mom said' he'd eat one or two a week. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This is from a guy who'd give you the shirt off his back!!!! Strange things people will do for the right kind of candy.
He's lived in Vermont his whole life and has only been to the store once!!!
Although there isn't anything like a good licorice drop!!! O.K. a good cup of coffee ranks right up there.
Take care

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #47  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We've used the catalogs for years and now that we're back in Vermont we haven't got there yet. )</font>

Hi AL! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Isn't that always the way. You never visit the sites in your home town or state that others come from miles to see! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If I were you, I'd just make it a family outing on a nice Sunday afternoon. It'd give you that all important bonding time, and you'd get to the store that you never see! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, and while you're there, I've been looking for............

.......Nah, I won't do that to you! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England

Garry,

We try to make it to Vermont Country store (the one up in Weston) at least a couple times a year. I agree....it is a unique kind of place to find hard to get items. I mentioned this store in that thread about the Regal sour candies from awhile ago. This is the only place I know where one can still buy those Skybars. I'd also recommend their cheddar cheese crackers and wine crackers made from sourdough bread. These packages are a bit pricey but they're great when company comes over or just to snack on in front of the TV. And I never leave without getting at least one of those sour pickles from their big pickling barrel. It's just like the ones my grandmother used to make.

...Bob

/ Garry "Golfgar4" Summers Visits New England #49  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I mentioned this store in that thread about the Regal sour candies from awhile ago. This is the only place I know where one can still buy those Skybars. )</font>

Bob,

I remember that thread that you started about the Regal sour candies. That really got a good discussion going! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regarding the Skybars, I had never even seen one before. then, a few weeks before we came out there, I caught a FoodNetwork show (Unwrapped, I think) that was all about these "nostalgic" candies. They had a segment on Skybars. When I saw those in the Vermont Country Store, I mentioned to Jenny to pick up a couple so we could try them. She didn't hear me quite right, and thought I was just pointing them out and didn't pick up any. I didn't know it until we got back and I was looking for them. Then we figured out what happened!

I did see Skybars in the little General Store in Stowe, so at least there's another location they can be had. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif