Reloaders - Question on .308 brass

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I bought some FML plinking ammo from Georgia Arms in .308.. Looking through the brass I noticed that none of the brass is actually labeled/stamped as .308/7.62

All of the brass has the Nato Cross Stamp, two digit year, and mfg initials - its all military brass based on my research.

Any reason why this brass isnt stamped with the caliber?

My thought/wag is that the Military only uses 5.56 and 7.62 ammo - so with reason, if it wont fit into a 5.56 rifle it must fit the 7.62 - LOL

Brian

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #3  
Also on reloading, before you break decapping pin always check military brass if boxer or berdan primed.
Lots of the European stuff is berdan primed so not reload material.

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #4  
It is just the way it has always been... I can't tell you the reasoning behind it. Remember the primer pockets will be "crimped" You will need to ream or swage the primer pockets. Keep in mind some military brass has thicker web's than some commercial brass.. approach full pressure loads with caution, as you will likely have slightly smaller case capacity. You can fill with water and weigh to compare.

James K0UA

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass
this ammo was already reloaded (at least once) by Georgia Arms (a HUGE reloader/manufacturer).. So the military primers will have already been replaced. Would Georgia Arms crimp their primers?

thanks for the other tips.. I am just now starting to think about reloading.. At $0.64/round for FMJ im not sure if i can beat G.A.'s price for plinking. BUT i am interested in finding a good deer hunting bullet/powder combo for a DPMS LR-308 (16" 1/10" twist)..

I have about 50 Hornaday Match and Federal brass (all once fired by me) from when i was testing out deer hunting loads.. IF i decide to reload i would probably use this brass instead of the brass i was asking about.

Any suggested powders for 308 that you like? From reading/researching it seems that 4895, Varget, and Reload 15 are pretty popular. Since I am shooting a 16" would that make a difference in what powder I picked?

I am leaning toward the Hornady SST or Interlock bullets (165 gr).

thanks

b

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #6  
Yes the primer pockets have been de-crimped already then, I use Winchester 748, but there are lots of suitable powders out there. You just need to do some research to figure out your best bet. I believe you could beat the $.64, but of course there is the initial investment of the equipment..

James K0UA

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #7  
BLC-2 works good, meters good. Should work excellent in the semi auto since it was the original military powder for the round. In several different rifles tried I haven't found anything that shot much better and nothing as consistent, but as said there are many others that work well.

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

Good thing about it there are so many good .30 cal bullets from 150 to 165gr range just pick one that works and rock on.

As far as the brass and your reloading, 7.62 military brass is thicker and probably a little more rugged for using in the AR, just don't tickle the max load listed in the manuals since the military brass is less volume. A good thing really you can get more rounds per pound with same performance.

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #8  
For an auto loader;be sure to full length resize.I like 165gr.Nosler Accubond bullets in .30cal.Lots of good loads for .308,get a couple of reloading manuals and don't experiment.With a 16" barrel you will loose a little velocity.165gr.Ballistic tip are a little cheaper and work great on deer size game.

/ Reloaders - Question on .308 brass #9  
Also, lots of bench time (both reloading and shooting) with this round all other things being equal - cases, powder, primers, same reloading session, basically being as consistent as my tools and skill allowed - I found 165gr Sierra Gameking BTSP (boat tail soft point) shot just as well and to same point of impact as Sierra 168gr HPBT (hollow point boat tail) Matchking target bullets.
I've probably skint out 50 or more white tails killed with that 165 gr Gameking bullet and never saw where it didn't perform; however, same could be said bullets from Nosler, Speer, Hornady heck even Remington Core Lockt in this caliber and weight range. You have to think that the 30/06, .300 Savage, and .308 Winchester have been very popular for a very long time for medium sized game hunting, lots of trial and error leaves us the legacy of some very good bullets to choose from.