Stactic Electricity

/ Stactic Electricity #1  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Because dry condition lately every time I exit my pickup w/cloth seats Iam getting heck of static shock and I mean SHOCK.

I've spray 3M antic static spray w/in pickup even have two rubber straps fasten to frame touching ground still no luck.

What coarse of action have you taken?

Thanks.

/ Stactic Electricity #2  
I get those zaps too.

I think it is a lot worse with one particular pair of shoes. I've taken to closing the car door after getting out by pushing on the window glass, not the metal door parts.

In the grocery store, I get zapped by touching the metal shelves. I think it's the shoes, but I would need to experiment a bit before saying 100% shoes.

/ Stactic Electricity #3  
Why rubber straps and not something conductive?
Also, do you have a lot of salt on the roads there? In need of a wash?

/ Stactic Electricity #5  
Also try not touching things with a pointed (hint: lightning rod shaped) finger, but with a more flatter surface, say the back of your hand first. (See Coulomb's Law, Gauss' Law).

/ Stactic Electricity #6  
Because dry condition lately every time I exit my pickup w/cloth seats Iam getting heck of static shock and I mean SHOCK.

I've spray 3M antic static spray w/in pickup even have two rubber straps fasten to frame touching ground still no luck.

What coarse of action have you taken?

Thanks.

I hear you Thomas. We've been driving a 2000 Impala with leather seats for the last 10 years. A couple weeks ago we bought a 2013 Impala with cloth seats. ZZAAAPPPP!!!!! OUCH! $^&%@!!!
Every time we get out ZZAAAPPP!!!!
Heck, it even gets you in the calf through your pants leg if you step out and your lower leg touches the car and the ground at the same time.
Makes you think about refueling the car.... lots of folks like to put the nozzle in, and then get back in the car while it refuels. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
Don't know what you can do to resolve it.
Rubber pants? :cool2:

/ Stactic Electricity #7  
Warning !!!! Be sure to discharge any static electricity before you take the gas pump in your hand to fill up your tank....touch something metal before touching the gas pump handle....or Kabooommmmmm !

/ Stactic Electricity #8  
Ah yes...triboelectric effect is at play here. Triboelectric is NOT the generator out behind the teepee, but rather the rubbing together of two non-conductive materials so that electrons (and therefore the associated charge) are passed from one material to the other, setting up a potential difference. One of the most simple ways to prevent static buildup is to allow it to dissipate at low levels. A spray bottle of fabric softener will help tremendously. Just like it prevents static in a dryer, it can prevent buildup of static because it is just conductive enough to bleed off low charges and ensure all the areas around are charge neutral. Winter salt is actually a good conductor and helps charges dissipate. However, the low humidity levels present in winter are responsible for a reduction in moisture coating us and the insides of our vehicles so that charges bleed off harmlessly. Rubber soled shoes with man-made uppers instead of the slightly conductive leather shoes of the past are also suspect.

I would try a spray bottle or can of cheap fabric softener first. You can wear wrist and ankle ground straps, but that seems a little extreme for driving your car. If you use the fabric softener, put a heavy coating on the floor mats as well as a light coating on the dashboard and seat covers. Also make sure all your clothes and undies are dried with fabric softener sheets.

/ Stactic Electricity
Dave1949
Looking forward to your shoe experiment findings.

Colby R.
I was told rubber straps would help,maybe for some not for me..willing to try about anything at this point.

Mossroad.
I also sputter words which can post from shocks,when fuel Iam double caution steps taken.
Whats strange I don't get shock from my wifes car and she has cloths etc...puzzling.

Brin.
Yes sir that's a must for me.

Jinman.
I plan on trying your idea w/fabric softener spray bottle,heck even will put fabric softener sheets my coat and undies after last night shock light show I got..even Mrs. said I heard that..must have hurt.

/ Stactic Electricity #10  
Thomas,
Here's a list of cars we've owned or still own with clothe seats.
83 Cavalier - no shocks.
89 Cavalier Z24 - no shocks.
93 Chevy van conversion - few mild shocks.
93 Suburban - no shocks.
2013 Impala - I think I know where "old sparky" from the state prison got retired to! :shocked:

Anyhow, maybe its the seat fabric that does it?