Looking for best cordless drill to purchase

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #21  
You didn't say what brand it was but for a lower end tool 10 years is pretty good...what is the matter with the one you have?

I'm am back to using a 20+ year old 12V Dewalt that I have gone back to after going through multiple Ryobi (nicad) batteries and chargers...I'm currently shopping for for a LI battery drill...

Does anyone know if the Ryobi LI batteries/chargers will work with the +1 nicad tools ?

yes the new lithium chargers will also charge the old nicad batteries, but not the other way around. but let me tell you when your nicads die, you will stay with the lithiums, they are that much better.. I have several of the ryobi nicad packs, all dead, and I don't plan on rebuilding them, better to put money in new Lithium batteries.

James K0UA

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #22  
Does anyone know if the Ryobi LI batteries/chargers will work with the +1 nicad tools ?

The new 18V LiIon batteries work in my older 18V drill, which pre-dated the +1 system. So it should work.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #23  
Well this from the home depot site

"Best of all, like all 18-Volt one Plus batteries, the included lithium battery works in every Ryobi 18-Volt One Plus tool ever made."

buyin the drill kit is seriously cheaper than a charger/battery upgrade kit :shocked:

Ryobi 18-Volt Lithium Drill Kit-P828 at The Home Depot

That is a pretty good deal, but note that is the smallest of the Lithium batteries the compact one that comes with that drill. Of course that is good in a way also as it makes the drill very lightweight and handy for those around the house jobs. But you can also get the larger lithium battery that will have a longer runtime for when you are working at a jobsite or working on a larger project like driving a bunch of deckscrews or something. But to be honest if you are going to drive a large bunch of deckscrews you should get the 1/4 inch impact, as that thing will drive big screws easier and faster than anything I have ever used, and that includes large corded drills.

James K0UA

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #24  
That is a pretty good deal, but note that is the smallest of the Lithium batteries the compact one that comes with that drill. Of course that is good in a way also as it makes the drill very lightweight and handy for those around the house jobs. But you can also get the larger lithium battery that will have a longer runtime for when you are working at a jobsite or working on a larger project like driving a bunch of deckscrews or something. But to be honest if you are going to drive a large bunch of deckscrews you should get the 1/4 inch impact, as that thing will drive big screws easier and faster than anything I have ever used, and that includes large corded drills.

James K0UA

I do believe the drill+impact kit, with two batteries and charger, is cheaper than just buying the batteries and charger!

The LiIon batteries that come in the kit have a slightly higher capacity than the older style batteries, despite the smaller size, so it's a fairly decent upgrade for folks with older tools -- slightly more capacity from a smaller lighter battery. You can get a larger LiIon pack (similar size to the old ones) with about double capacity, but I don't recall seeing those in kits.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #25  
I wont be buying any Ryobi cordless tools but I did buy a Ryobi 10 inch table saw for use the Orchard...very nice saw and a good price. :D

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #26  
I have yet to have any of my Ryobi tools die and I have several, just about every one they made. I have switched to the lithium years ago when they were offering a free accessory with the purchase of a tool, buy the drill get a lithium battery for free. I like the idea that the same battery powers my weed whacker, drill, impact driver, saws, leaf blower and of course many others. I have failed a few of the original series of lithium batteries and had them replaced under warranty (2 years) with out a problem. The batteries themselves dont fail only the associated charging circuitry in the battery pack. Would like to find someone that repairs the internal circuitry of the battery packs for a reasonable price. The new battery packs seem to be more robust than the first series, have yet to have one of these fail.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #27  
All of my tools have outlived the batteries, many times over *
Find a good battery style that you can live with.

I have owned
Makita, the original 9.6 long Ni-Cad battery style.
Craftsman, unknown and unique Ni-Cad
Rigid, Ni-Cad
DeWalt 18v Ni-Cad (lots of these tools)
Milwaukee, M12 Lithium, M18 Lithium

* I have had a problem with the 30 year old Makita "Sawzawl" style saw, Blade retainer broke.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #28  
Ryobi, most cost effective, IMO. I have the 18V impact driver - like others have said, it drives 3" screws easily using one hand with no stripping. I also have a host of 18 volt Ryobi tools, none of which have failed me. I own and use the following Ryobi +1 tools:
Impact driver, should have bought one years ago.
Leaf blower, not the most powerful but blows those leaves off the deck every morning with no hassle and the wife loves it because it doesn't weigh anything.
Insecticide sprayer, I love it because it holds one gallon, doesn't weigh much and will spray those pesky weeds all over the property and I don't have to pump it.
Small flashlight, handy anytime, usually comes in a kit.
Large flashlight, somewhere around 1 million candle power, not sure but using the Lithium Ion batts, it doesn't go bad after one season like the $20 versions do and goes for around 40 minutes before discharge.
Small reciprocating branch pruner, works good, long blade.
Reciprocating pole pruner with extension, goes out to around six feet and is easy to grab for those simple branch cutting jobs when I don't want to drag out the pole chain saw.
Vacuum cleaner with all the attachments, used for cleaning the vehicles and can used as a blower.
Radio, used all the time when working out in the yard.
Jig saw, nice quality, don't even use or own a 120 volt version anymore. Used to build and repair my decks.
Circular saw, much easier than dragging out the corded version, which I gave to my son anyway.
Angle grinder, no match for the 120V version but it is real handy for those quick, one-off jobs.
12V drill/driver. I pre-drill holes often before I screw things together so it help to have a smaller tool loaded with a drill bit on hand.
Chain saw, for those times when I just need to saw a 6 or 8 inch diameter branch and don't want to fire up the gas saw. Also keep it on hand to extricate my gas saw when it gets stuck in a log.
Weed eater, the wife uses this one and loves it because it very light. I stick to the gas-powered Echo but I like the larger battery that came with the Ryobi.
Sawzall, one of the handiest tools, ever.

Last edited:
   / Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #29  
All of my tools have outlived the batteries, many times over *
Find a good battery style that you can live with.

I have owned
Makita, the original 9.6 long Ni-Cad battery style.
Craftsman, unknown and unique Ni-Cad
Rigid, Ni-Cad
DeWalt 18v Ni-Cad (lots of these tools)
Milwaukee, M12 Lithium, M18 Lithium

* I have had a problem with the 30 year old Makita "Sawzawl" style saw, Blade retainer broke.

Can you still get parts?

I've had my first Makita 2.6amp Nmh batteries almost 12 years before I had to replace them and I just ordered two replacement parts for my some of my corded. A new variable speed switch for my old 3/8 DP 3720 drill (the old one only runs fully engaged now) and new guide plate for my recip saw.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #30  
most are made in China so zero difference I would by German made if available

If this is a concern, (it doesn't seem to be for most) some Dewalts are made in Mexico. A saw a Hilti (corded drill) the other day that was made in China. As far as I know, the Metabo's are still made in Germany, but the batteries in China. Snap-On claims their cordless drills are made in USA, but again... the batteries in China.