Bitcoin: What do you think?

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #12  
Will never happen, To many gubments would loose control over their disciples

that, and too many normal people dont trust anything that relies on a computer to keep track of.....think Target.

Ill keep my $$ in safe and banks thank you.

/ Bitcoin: What do you think?
Dave,

Steve Landsburg did admit that his blog entry was "Wonkish.":) He is a true polymath.

Steve

I read that blog and the first 20 or so comments. I could see what he is struggling with a bit. Multiple variable problems can have multiple solutions I guess?? is what it boils down to. Twenty-some years ago I took an Operations Research course as part of my grad degree program. It is a fascinating area of study, really. The prof was an Air Force pilot who flew high-priority parts to various US air bases around Europe. As I recall, some of our example exercises addressed the optimal loading of aircraft cargo. :laughing:

The other article was more helpful as to what Bitcoin is about in general terms.

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #15  
one word:

flooz (.com)

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #16  
If you bought any around December 1st and held them, you have lost about 1/3 of your investment.

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #17  
One world currency is inevitable at some point.

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #18  
First off bitcoin is not a scam but like all monetary systems scammers will get in on the act.

We don't know that it isn't a scam. The currency is inherently deflationary, which means it tends to favor those who got in early. Nobody knows who Satoshi (the inventor) is/are. I don't know enough about Bitcoin to know what kind of scammish things might be hidden in its algorithms, but I don't think it's impossible that they're there. At the very least, one could argue that the "scam" is that it's inherently a pyramid-like scheme, where those who got in early (before deflation hits) get rich, and those who come late are likely to lose money.

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #19  
Hi

> We don't know that it isn't a scam. The currency is inherently deflationary,
> which means it tends to favor those who got in early.

Yes it favours those who get in early but why is it deflationary? The number of bitcoins are limited (by the algorithm) and it gets harder and harder to calculate subsequent bitcoins (thats part of the neat algorithm too). Hence it inherently will maintain it's value due to scarcity - there are a limited number that can be found. Monetary theory would predict that it will in the *long term* appreciate in value.

Mike

/ Bitcoin: What do you think? #20  
Hi

> We don't know that it isn't a scam. The currency is inherently deflationary,
> which means it tends to favor those who got in early.

Yes it favours those who get in early but why is it deflationary? The number of bitcoins are limited (by the algorithm) and it gets harder and harder to calculate subsequent bitcoins (thats part of the neat algorithm too). Hence it inherently will maintain it's value due to scarcity - there are a limited number that can be found. Monetary theory would predict that it will in the *long term* appreciate in value.

Mike

Mike...Do you not think hackers will figure out how to hack into the program and create their own stash of bitcoins...? They may have already done so...since no one really knows how many bitcoins there are...what is the total amount of bitcoin in circulation and how do they know...can they prove it....Just my opinion, but too many....way too many ifs here....and just imagine a solar flare, EMP attack or other event that crashes cyber space for a very long time ....or a century or so....?????